Defective TPA3116 with bluetooth - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2015, 09:36 PM   #1
onni is offline onni  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Defective TPA3116 with bluetooth

Hi!

I've used the TPA3116 amps bought on ebay for some time and enjoy them, so when my sister needed an amplifier with bluetooth my choice fell on this one:

Finished TPA3116 Digital Amplifier Bluetooth 4 0 50W 50W Standard Version SN | eBay

It arrived in an undamaged package and looks fine.

Today I connected the amplifier to speakers and a 19 V, 65 W power supply to test it with bluetooth. It clicks 2 times when I connect the power supply and when I turn the amplifier on there is significant white noise in the left speaker. Right speaker is silent. When I press play on my phone (connected with bluetooth) it clicks again and starts playing music. The white noise in left speaker gets a little louder and the right speaker starts making strange noises (crackling). I ve tested with another power supply (125 W) that is adjustable between 15 and 22 V, no difference. There is no crackling in right channel when using the RCA input.

I opened it to see if there are any obvious errors and took these photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry for not using the attachment function, the pictures would be so small that no details could be seen.

Can anyone see anything that is obviously faulty? The only thing I can see that is odd is two holes on the bottom edge of the bottom side (slightly to the right) that aren't filled with solder. Is that intentional?

/Anton
Old 7th October 2015, 10:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Does the line in works on both channels? Is there any change in sound when you flex the pcb a bit (carefully)
Old 7th October 2015, 10:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
Does the line in works on both channels? Is there any change in sound when you flex the pcb a bit (carefully)
There is no crackling in right channel when using the RCA input and the noise in left channel is slightly lower. But still very annoying.

I'll test flexing the pcb tonight.

/Anton
Old 8th October 2015, 07:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Flexing the PCB has no effect.

I did however notice something else. The noise increases substantially when I touch the potentiometer knob (if the volume is more than ~20 %). And the noise characteristic changes with volume, from purely white noise (at 0 %) to a more crackling (100 %).

/Anton
Old 8th October 2015, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So, maybe the pot is defective. Does it allows you to change volume while connected via bluetooth, or only when using line-in?
Old 8th October 2015, 07:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It works for both bluetooth and line-in.

/Anton
Old 8th October 2015, 09:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So you need a new pot I guess.

Hide this!Advertise here!