connecting headphones to a small Tripath amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI

I have a Rose Voix amp. It's a Tripath, delivering (I believe) 15 WPC into 4 ohms.

It doesn't have a headphone socket.

Can I use it to drive my vintage headphones, by simply making an adapter cable: RCA's to 6mm female socket?

... or do I need to include some form of attenuator, so as to not overload the headphones?

Thanks

Joined 2011
Can I use it to drive my vintage headphones, by simply making an adapter cable:
RCA's to 6mm female socket?or do I need to include some form of attenuator,
so as to not overload the headphones?

You can start with a series resistor in each channel, typically 100 Ohms, until you get used
to the combination. The phones may very well sound better with smaller resistors (or none), though.

Ive smoked a tripath chip. Almost lit my pants on fire. The amps power cable was drapped across my lap when it happened.

If you really want to use that amp with headphones its probably easier to just rewire your heaaadphones to 4 pin xlr and put an xlr jack on the amp. I dont know what headphones you want to use but most phones dont need that much current or the 20db of gain the tripath amp has. A better cheap solution would be a cmoy headphone amp or something like that.

Ive smoked a tripath chip. Almost lit my pants on fire. The amps power cable was drapped across my lap when it happened.

If you really want to use that amp with headphones its probably easier to just rewire your heaaadphones to 4 pin xlr and put an xlr jack on the amp. I dont know what headphones you want to use but most phones dont need that much current or the 20db of gain the tripath amp has. A better cheap solution would be a cmoy headphone amp or something like that.

I'm thinking you may be right. Thanks.

Are there any commercially-available products to achieve this?

I'm not aware of any finished products, perhaps too many variables related to the power and impedance requirements.

That being said its not really that difficult to wind one's own, I've made several using ferrite cores (RM14 work well). The cores are available from Mouser and others.

@rayma - have you tried headphone listening via a step-down transformer or is your statement about how it'll sound speculation? :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Correct, you have to be careful here. Not to mention that the amp has a rather high ultrasonic carrier.

You can put three resistors in series across each set of speaker terminals to make an attenuator and ground lift. You can try 20R-8R-20R in series, but the values don't need to be exact, you can go higher - just use the same on left and right. Connect the to either side of the 8 ohm resistor. One side of each 8 ohm will be connected to the same point on the other channel for your headphone common ground.

There are some tweaks to this, but that's the basic idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.