power suplly help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so I want to build my first D-class amp, I found one that looks solid, it has 500w of power which is more then enough, it is from a well known amp designer so there are no doubts about it working good

the problem is the power supply, 2x500w amp would require at least a 1500w transformer, which would set me back a lot of cash, so I wish to go with a electronic power supply, the problem is I cant find any good schematics for a class D power supply , so if anybody has some it would be great, the amp runs on max +/- 95v , but I would run it at +/-90v for stability

the amp schematic is in the attachment
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

discussed here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/244402-amplifier-more-stronger.html

If used for stereo, use 2 x 500VA transformers, and build as mono blocks
a toroidal should be readily available with 2x 65 VAC windings providing 91v DC
at a staggering possibility of 7.7 amps ... be very careful with DC at this voltage and current !!
Current draw will be less if it is a Class D design ? due to switching efficiency.

Also using large power supplies then connected to bridge rectifiers and capacitors
like this requires a lot of patient design work - as they invariably draw high load
currents at initial turn on. There are many very in depth discussions to be found
on the diy audio forum how to slowly turn on such transformers usually involving
thermistors and having the load gradually occurring.

Think about using a Quad 909 or other well designed very low distortion amplifier instead

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.