TAS5630 PBTL Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I could not longer withstand the TAS5630 600W 2Ohm board i had spotted on aliexpress several weeks ago.
Today the price dropped to 29.99 €.
So i pulled the trigger.

TAS5630 Subwoofer 600W D Type OPA1632DR TL072 Amplifier-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The TAS5630 is still (one of) the most powerful single supply, single chip class d solutions availble.

There are other boards from the same 'product line' available sporting the 5630.
One in 2.1 (2 SE, 1 BTL) and the other in 2.0 BTL modes.
The other 5630 boards are more expensive.
Another reason for me to buy the board was that i really like the TAS5611 2.0 board, which seems to be belong to the same 'product line', too.

All these boards use differential inputs.
This is achieved via an onboard OPA1632.

The PBTL board comes with a preamp.
To me it looks like the preamp has a mono-summer and an adjustable LPF onboard.
But i'm not sure about it (maybe somebody who owns this module can report).
I wonder why there are 10 wires between the motherboard and the external preamp....
I hope it works without the preamp as i dought the practical effect of those crossovers.

And there is another riddle:
It seems like there are solder pads/jumpers to allow for a switch between BTL and PBTL mode.
The output fiters seem to be capable of a switch to 2 channel operation.
Even the datasheet shows a circuit for PBTL operation with two inductors per channels used.
But this board only has one output connector.

Please report your experiences with that board.
To me it looks like one of the most interesting china amps atm.

Attachments

• Assembled-class-D-TAS5630-OPA1632DR-subwoofer-amplifier-board-600W.jpg
    Assembled-class-D-TAS5630-OPA1632DR-subwoofer-amplifier-board-600W.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,221
a 33V, 36V or 48V should be good enough.
I guess it even works with a 24V psu (those with the trimpot for adjustments go up to 26V-27V usually).
I'll try that as soon as mine arrives.

I made good experience with LR4 crossovers and would like to implement this into such a system.
Looks like this here has a 12db onboard.

They are prone to blowing up are those high power class D chips. I've had few go bang on me. Certainly I would advise not driving sine waves with them at full power as that puts undue stresses on the form factor. Certainly this is one of the reasons TI dialed back the over current protection on these to limit the them at 400 watts into its respective load down from 600.

They will work fine from lower voltages, just respect the drop out of the switcher and then the possible LDO on board.

10 wires is fine, it gives multiple return paths if used in that way, which is always a good thing.

Certainly I would advise not driving sine waves with them at full power as that puts undue stresses on the form factor. Certainly this is one of the reasons TI dialed back the over current protection on these to limit the them at 400 watts into its respective load down from 600.

They will work fine from lower voltages,

So everything should be fine if i avoid listening to sine waves and using the max voltage?

The max voltage stated in the DS is 52.5V.
I was already thinking about four 12V SLA batteries which would provide something around 52.x V when fully charged.
Not a good idea considering the experience you share.

The datasheet says something about a programmable overcurrent protection, but only gives one resistor value that sets it to 19A into a 1Ohm load (~360W).
Is that what you are talking about?

just respect the drop out of the switcher and then the possible LDO on board.

What is this and what does it mean? :scratch:

I think you are better off with IRS2092 for your application with mobile subs and four batteries. The IRS2092 is probably bullet proof with regards to max supply voltage. This TAS has a very high ancillary parts count - more parts to fry/break compared to IRS.

I have IRS2092 boards on the way, too.
Those are meant for the mobile subs.
This board here was just too tempting.
It might very well end up in my 'home-sub' which might get a new enclosure with integrated active module .... and i have two unused 12" 4Ohm woofers in the basement ....

600 Watt is at 2 ohm 10% distortion. Comparable to other more serious products it would be 400 Watt 2 ohm less than 0.1% distortion.

A good power supply is not that cheap, so the bargains ends up so so.

And remember that dampening factor at 2 ohm is not impressive.

And it's yuanying.

...so far only my expectations get dampened:)
But some curiosity is still left.

Of course it will not deliver 'undistorted' 600W.
I don't get why all those datasheets show power output at 10% distortion.
That is not a really interesting number/diagram.
I would like to know at what voltage the disortion-vs-power-diagram data was taken.

To get 100W 'clean' into a 4Ohm woofer would be nice.
This is what a TPA3116 cannot do.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau287a/slau287a.pdf

Some real audio data in this link.

I have a drawer full of chinese class D amps - all in all 30 channels. They do not satisfy me for full range at all. TDA8950th based modules are really good for subwoofer, but most of them (not all of them) have some audible fuzz in the midrange. I also have TA2022 but never hooked them up yet. Both of these chips will give you real power for subwoofer (but requires +/- PSU). Now I have Italian Audiopower MDA-400 (8 of them), and quality is way better, than any chinese module I have ever seen. Price is higher but not that much.

If I will have some cheap TAS5XXX amplifier I just buy a used Panasonic SA-XR55 for 100$.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau287a/slau287a.pdf

Some real audio data in this link.

I have a drawer full of chinese class D amps - all in all 30 channels. They do not satisfy me for full range at all. TDA8950th based modules are really good for subwoofer, but most of them (not all of them) have some audible fuzz in the midrange. I also have TA2022 but never hooked them up yet. Both of these chips will give you real power for subwoofer (but requires +/- PSU). Now I have Italian Audiopower MDA-400 (8 of them), and quality is way better, than any chinese module I have ever seen. Price is higher but not that much.

I've seen lots of those TDA8950 in the china-shops.
But i thought they would be too weak for my main goal, the outdoor-sub-amping.
I went the 'lots-of-batteries-and-IRS2092-route'.
I'm looking forward for them to arrive.
Of course a more expensive amplifier will be better.
But i really like to fiddle around with the china amps and it is not too bad what you get for your money.
I will buy a higher quality class d module one day, that's for sure.

If I will have some cheap TAS5XXX amplifier I just buy a used Panasonic SA-XR55 for 100$.

i sold a sa-xr10 on ebay which i didn't like.
This amp here is just for fun.
It can't be too bad...

yes, that's right.
aliexpress refund policy is quite buyer friendly as long as open a dispute early enough.
and i will never open a dispute because of not functioning items.
i will always claim that the product didn't arrive.
i once had to send a video evidence, which was a pain to record and it ended up in a 50% refund.
the item was total crap, the seller wasn't uploading any evidence and responded very unfriendly.
so i had to pay 10€ for a piece of s**t.
never again.

Hi,
I have used the TAS5630 chipset with 34Vdc(*) power supply for more than 1 year now it seems to be quite reliable. The sound quality is pretty good too. I think the later versions of this chip can withstand higher supply voltage hence will give you more power output. If you run it between 35-45 Vdc(**) it will run reliably for long time.
If you want to run this chip, TAS5630 with Batteries than it has an advantage it requires one rail whereas the IRS2092 requires +- power supply hence 2 sets of batteries.
Please report back what you think of this new power subwoofer.

* My version the recommended max. supply voltage is 36Vdc. Also my bass drivers are not really power hungry beasts.
** conservatively

Last edited:
Performs flawlessly.

They are prone to blowing up are those high power class D chips. I've had few go bang on me. Certainly I would advise not driving sine waves with them at full power as that puts undue stresses on the form factor. Certainly this is one of the reasons TI dialed back the over current protection on these to limit the them at 400 watts into its respective load down from 600.

They will work fine from lower voltages, just respect the drop out of the switcher and then the possible LDO on board.

10 wires is fine, it gives multiple return paths if used in that way, which is always a good thing.

This is just wrong. The part performs of course according to the datasheets.

Self-Protection Design (Including Undervoltage,
Overtemperature, Clipping, and Short-Circuit
Protection) With Error Reporting

Funny that 5th element has some secret knowledge of amplifier design that the world class design engineers at Texas Instrument lacks, and still he wastes his precious intellect complaining online insted of helping the poor designers.

Fact is, the parts perform flawlessly.

it's been a while since the last post in this thread.
i must say that i'm quite impressed by how this board performs.
so far i have only used it with 3x 12V sla batteries.
the preamp part of the product does its job surprisingly well (it works without,too).
the amplifier causes less audible noise with audio sources volume completely turned down than most of the other china products i have.
it produces a good sounding heavy bass on a 8 Ohm woofer.

i would like to put use it with two 4 Ohm woofers (-> 2Ohm) in a mobile system.
a mid-high-horn should overtake at about 1.5kHz.
now i'm searching for a solution for the amplifier for the mid-high-driver.
i thought about an tpa3118 board glued directly to the driver.
but the problem is the incompatibility of the supply voltages.
i need to carry three 12V sla's for the 5630.
one 12V (or three 6V) for the 3118.
two 9V blocks for the preamp/crossover are taken into account.

is there a practical solution for a mono amplifier which works with 3 sla batteries (up to 40V, more like 37-39V most of the times)?

You will not find a schematic of that specific board.
It follows pretty much the schematic found on page 18 of this datasheet:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas5630.pdf

The preamp contains a mono summer and a variable 2nd order lpf built around an opamp.
You easily omit the preamp and feed a mono signal right into the pin on the amp board.
A differential opamp creates a balanced signal on the input side of the amp board.
Right in front of the heatsink are two groups of six empty through-holes and silkscreens that say 'btl' and 'pbtl'.
On my board i had to connect each 'pbtl-hole' with the 'center-hole' next to it.

pbtl btl
o-o o
o-o o

As far as i can see there is a chance to convert this board into stereo btl.
But i have neither the effort to try it or to describe. (although i feel i already answered unasked questions here.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.