TAS5630 PBTL Board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2015, 09:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TAS5630 PBTL Board

I could not longer withstand the TAS5630 600W 2Ohm board i had spotted on aliexpress several weeks ago.
Today the price dropped to 29.99 €.
So i pulled the trigger.

TAS5630 Subwoofer 600W D Type OPA1632DR TL072 Amplifier-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The TAS5630 is still (one of) the most powerful single supply, single chip class d solutions availble.

There are other boards from the same 'product line' available sporting the 5630.
One in 2.1 (2 SE, 1 BTL) and the other in 2.0 BTL modes.
The other 5630 boards are more expensive.
Another reason for me to buy the board was that i really like the TAS5611 2.0 board, which seems to be belong to the same 'product line', too.

All these boards use differential inputs.
This is achieved via an onboard OPA1632.

The PBTL board comes with a preamp.
To me it looks like the preamp has a mono-summer and an adjustable LPF onboard.
But i'm not sure about it (maybe somebody who owns this module can report).
I wonder why there are 10 wires between the motherboard and the external preamp....
I hope it works without the preamp as i dought the practical effect of those crossovers.

And there is another riddle:
It seems like there are solder pads/jumpers to allow for a switch between BTL and PBTL mode.
The output fiters seem to be capable of a switch to 2 channel operation.
Even the datasheet shows a circuit for PBTL operation with two inductors per channels used.
But this board only has one output connector.

Please report your experiences with that board.
To me it looks like one of the most interesting china amps atm.
Old 25th August 2015, 11:47 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

That is a great price on TAS5630. It looks like they might actually have a good XO frequency adjustment. The cost of a 55v power supply may be the killer though. I have been looking for a sub amp.
Old 25th August 2015, 12:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

a 33V, 36V or 48V should be good enough.
I guess it even works with a 24V psu (those with the trimpot for adjustments go up to 26V-27V usually).
I'll try that as soon as mine arrives.

I made good experience with LR4 crossovers and would like to implement this into such a system.
Looks like this here has a 12db onboard.
Old 25th August 2015, 02:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

don't exceed 48v power supply
Old 25th August 2015, 04:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

They are prone to blowing up are those high power class D chips. I've had few go bang on me. Certainly I would advise not driving sine waves with them at full power as that puts undue stresses on the form factor. Certainly this is one of the reasons TI dialed back the over current protection on these to limit the them at 400 watts into its respective load down from 600.

They will work fine from lower voltages, just respect the drop out of the switcher and then the possible LDO on board.

10 wires is fine, it gives multiple return paths if used in that way, which is always a good thing.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Certainly I would advise not driving sine waves with them at full power as that puts undue stresses on the form factor. Certainly this is one of the reasons TI dialed back the over current protection on these to limit the them at 400 watts into its respective load down from 600.

They will work fine from lower voltages,
So everything should be fine if i avoid listening to sine waves and using the max voltage?

The max voltage stated in the DS is 52.5V.
I was already thinking about four 12V SLA batteries which would provide something around 52.x V when fully charged.
Not a good idea considering the experience you share.

The datasheet says something about a programmable overcurrent protection, but only gives one resistor value that sets it to 19A into a 1Ohm load (~360W).
Is that what you are talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
just respect the drop out of the switcher and then the possible LDO on board.
What is this and what does it mean?
Old 25th August 2015, 10:10 PM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you are better off with IRS2092 for your application with mobile subs and four batteries. The IRS2092 is probably bullet proof with regards to max supply voltage. This TAS has a very high ancillary parts count - more parts to fry/break compared to IRS.
Old 25th August 2015, 10:54 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I think you are better off with IRS2092 for your application with mobile subs and four batteries. The IRS2092 is probably bullet proof with regards to max supply voltage. This TAS has a very high ancillary parts count - more parts to fry/break compared to IRS.
I have IRS2092 boards on the way, too.
Those are meant for the mobile subs.
This board here was just too tempting.
It might very well end up in my 'home-sub' which might get a new enclosure with integrated active module .... and i have two unused 12" 4Ohm woofers in the basement ....
Old 27th August 2015, 09:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

600 Watt is at 2 ohm 10% distortion. Comparable to other more serious products it would be 400 Watt 2 ohm less than 0.1% distortion.

A good power supply is not that cheap, so the bargains ends up so so.

And remember that dampening factor at 2 ohm is not impressive.

And it's yuanying.
Old 27th August 2015, 09:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldsen View Post
600 Watt is at 2 ohm 10% distortion. Comparable to other more serious products it would be 400 Watt 2 ohm less than 0.1% distortion.

A good power supply is not that cheap, so the bargains ends up so so.

And remember that dampening factor at 2 ohm is not impressive.

And it's yuanying.
...so far only my expectations get dampened
But some curiosity is still left.

Of course it will not deliver 'undistorted' 600W.
I don't get why all those datasheets show power output at 10% distortion.
That is not a really interesting number/diagram.
I would like to know at what voltage the disortion-vs-power-diagram data was taken.

To get 100W 'clean' into a 4Ohm woofer would be nice.
This is what a TPA3116 cannot do.

Hide this!Advertise here!