Chosing IRS2092 Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I look for amping for two 8Ohm Subwoofers.
The amp(s) will be powered by 8 x 12V sla batteries (10 if it is a must for the optimal solution).
Now i cannot decide for a specific module available on aliexpress.
Budget is a very limiting factor here.

I have these modules on the radar atm:

1. low price tag of ~21€ shipped
IRS2092 Single Channel Amplifier Board Large Power Amplifier-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

2. L25D seems to be used a lot
Assembled mono L25D Power Amplifier board IRS2092 IRFB4020PBF (one channel)-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

3. L15D two boards in this kit
L15D 300W+300W Class D power amplifier kit IRS2092 IRFI4019H by LJM-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

4. sure-electronics two-channel board
Free Shipping! 2*250W 8Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board IRS2092-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

5. the cheap black board, might be the weakest in power, but the price is just awesome
YJ IRS2092 200W Class D Amp Mono Amplifier Board YJ-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Is it better to go for 2 x 8Ohms or to look for an amp that drives 4 Ohms easily?
What is the best solution out of these for the subs?
What should i avoid?
What should a noob like me look for? (differences between designs, mosfets?)

edit:
I should add that my goal is at least 200W clean into each woofer (the more the better as i learned the hard way with cheapo amping).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I look for amping for two 8Ohm Subwoofers.
The amp(s) will be powered by 8 x 12V sla batteries (10 if it is a must for the optimal solution).
Now i cannot decide for a specific module available on aliexpress.
Budget is a very limiting factor here.

I have these modules on the radar atm:

1. low price tag of ~21€ shipped
IRS2092 Single Channel Amplifier Board Large Power Amplifier-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

2. L25D seems to be used a lot
Assembled mono L25D Power Amplifier board IRS2092 IRFB4020PBF (one channel)-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

3. L15D two boards in this kit
L15D 300W+300W Class D power amplifier kit IRS2092 IRFI4019H by LJM-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

4. sure-electronics two-channel board
Free Shipping! 2*250W 8Ohm Class D Audio Amplifier Board IRS2092-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

5. the cheap black board, might be the weakest in power, but the price is just awesome
YJ IRS2092 200W Class D Amp Mono Amplifier Board YJ-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Is it better to go for 2 x 8Ohms or to look for an amp that drives 4 Ohms easily?
What is the best solution out of these for the subs?
What should i avoid?
What should a noob like me look for? (differences between designs, mosfets?)

edit:
I should add that my goal is at least 200W clean into each woofer (the more the better as i learned the hard way with cheapo amping).

First, I just want to remind myself that all of these prices appear very reasonable and quite frankly are fantastic values if they work well. The ability to get clean 200w to 350w for this kind of change was sort of unheard of just a few years ago. The 8 SLA battery route is very cool if you are looking for a portable application as you avoid potentially costly dual rail supplies which are the other part of this amp that costs real money. I have those surplus Abletec $20 450w supplies so am covered there. They require a minimal load on all outputs to be stable.

Back to your amp question - I have the cheap black one. It was $20 now $14 is an amazing deal. If you have time get the cheap one first and test. The LJM designs seem like sure things so maybe get that next. They look well designed. The $22 simple looking red one looks frankly too simple. Where did all the ancillary components needed go? But at $22 you might order it at same time as $14 one and test.

For lowest distortion probably best to get one designed for 8ohms vs 4ohms and use on 8ohm speakers. The limiting factor may be quality of the output inductor. Can it handle the peak amps without saturating or changing its impedance value? Also quality of power rail caps may be an issue.

I've been using the L25D modules from my supplier in China who is one of two authorized LJM dealers. It's been a couple of years since that build, but if memory serves, I'm using a SMPS +-65VDC PSU (Connexelectronic.com). Into an 8 ohm load these are stable and very musical amps. I bought 2 more L25D modules a while back possibly thinking I would build a multi-channel amp in the future, but that project hasn't taken off yet. :)

Yes, consider two halfbridges driving 8 Ohms each. To avoid bus pumping, drive their inputs anti-phase, and connect the speakers accordingly to compensate phase reversal.

What is bus pumping?
Would the sure board have any advantage over any of mono-boards?
On ebay i found the sure-board shipped from germany (no stress with customs) for 44€.
The description says that it is 2x125W into 8Ohm.
And it can be bridged to 1x250W.
I don't think that that is what i want.

I read somewhere in the forums that candidate no. 6 (iraud350) is only 700w 'peak'.
So there seems to be zero advantage over no. 1 which looks quite similar but without rectifiers.

I would really like to solder the kit that candidate no. 3 (L15D) is.
But the endproduct will most likely not be able to deliver the power i want.

Are there any arguments against no. 1?
To me it looks like a good deal.....but again i'm a noob.

The first one claims 350W, 4 ohms, if it does that then that's probably your best bet.

Or the IRAUD700W one, but its rating of 350W 8 ohm from +-58V doesn't add up -- should be either ~200W (= 58*58/2(2*8)) or toward ~800W if bridged. 350W isn't close to either!

The $14 black one is a nicely made amp (I have a couple, haven't hooked them up yet, though) but is rated 8A max, which is just 128W into 4 ohms.

The first one claims 350W, 4 ohms, if it does that then that's probably your best bet.

Or the IRAUD700W one, but its rating of 350W 8 ohm from +-58V doesn't add up -- should be either ~200W (= 58*58/2(2*8)) or toward ~800W if bridged. 350W isn't close to either!

The $14 black one is a nicely made amp (I have a couple, haven't hooked them up yet, though) but is rated 8A max, which is just 128W into 4 ohms.

Your post finally led me to do what i did.
I ordered one of each of these two boards: no.1 and no. 5

The 8 SLA battery route is very cool if you are looking for a portable application as you avoid potentially costly dual rail supplies which are the other part of this amp that costs real money.

I'm looking forward to the coolness of charging that stuff.

Now i need to prepare the actual build....new question will occur within the next days.

Thanks guys for your advice!!!

Your post finally led me to do what i did.
I ordered one of each of these two boards: no.1 and no. 5

I'm looking forward to the coolness of charging that stuff.

Now i need to prepare the actual build....new question will occur within the next days.

Thanks guys for your advice!!!
I guess it's too late, and I don't know if you've seen this thread, but it may answer some of your questions re the best one for 4 ohms.

I guess it's too late, and I don't know if you've seen this thread, but it may answer some of your questions re the best one for 4 ohms.

I hope it is not like i wasted my money on crap.

From what i understand, the L25D needs quite a lot voltage.
That would result in another two batterries to buy, carry around and charge.
On the other hand i read that the IRFB4227 (like on no.1 ) is quite good in handling higher currents.
Even if board no. 1 cannot handle 4 Ohm well, i'm pretty sure that it will drive a single 8 Ohm speaker pretty good (if i ever get it to work...)

ChocoHolic should really answer but the main version is designed for +/-40V but has a max voltage of +\- 45V. Chocoholic has modelled a higher vtage version, by changing components there is an untested design to use up to +/- 55V. My calculation would be approx 300 watts into 4 ohms. From +/-52V supply.

I must stress that the 50V version has a max voltage of +/-55V and is untested.

The original design is for a +/-40V supply and has a maximum voltage of +/-45V. At +/-40V the estimated maximum power into 4 ohms is 180W.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.