Anaview AMS0100 - problems with nDisable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I recently bought two AMS0100 modules to build a pair of stereo power amps. I hooked up one of the modules to my mixer and it all worked well, and as far I can tell a good sounding amp.

And then i started testing stuff. I tested to ground the mute pin to pin 15 - Secondary side ground, which worked as charm. And then I did the same with nDisable. The problem now is that it doesnt come out of stand by mode.
I thought that it should be in standby mode as long as pin 13 was connected to ground, this does not seem to be the case. I have tried to activate it with 2-4 v load but this does not seem to work either.

As far i can understand pin 17 should have around 4 volts when stand by mode is activated, which it does.

I might have wrecked something on the board but i have checked both fuses and they seem fine.

Any suggestions on what to do?

B.R.
Gabriel

I had a similar experience with a pair of ALC-300 modules (previous Abletec generation) a while ago... I connected a regulated 3.3V to the disable input, and they've been silent ever since:confused: I called Profusion (UK outfit that sold me the modules) and despite being fairly familiar with the modules, they could not help me. Profusion ended up sending me two new modules, no cost! Maybe they knew the product was a heartbeat away from being discontinued and had a shipping container of them hanging around. Anyway, I would love to know if the amps are truly fried or somehow salvageable. I now have some AMS-1000 modules (they sound fantastic BTW) and there's no way I am going near that disable pin!

I've seen Anaview/Abletec reps post here in the past, maybe someone from the company will chime in. Good luck.

Absolutely!

Short answer:
After some emails back and forth with different questions I got the advise to replace the r209 resistors on the card. And since I burned my other card i had already purchased the resistors. This did not help however so i drove by Anaview and they did find a diode that wasn't working. They replaced my card. He pointed at it, but i cant recall where it was or what it was called. Sorry.

But here is the troubleshooting emails that led up to replacing my card:
(My answer in green. Profusion in red)

I tried the disable function on one of the boards by hooking Pin 13 to ground. And the board went into standby mode. I was under the impression that if I left it floating it with would come out of standby mode but that is not case.
Leaving pin 13 floating should be enough to bring it back out of Standby mode as STBY_DC will automatically pull it back up. Are you able to check the STBY_DC output to confirm the module is actually in standby and not just dead?

Yes, i checked pin 17 and STBY_DC is around 4.2v.
I also checked the two fuses on the board and they are both OK.

Do you have anything loaded on STDBY_DC? (pin 17) If so, how much current is it drawing.
No, Pin 17 i s not connected to anything.
Can you measure the voltage on the nDISABLE pin (ie pin 13)
Yes, I have the same voltage on pin 13 and on pin 17. ~3.9 VDc
Can you measure any voltage on Va+/Va-.
No voltage at Va+/Va-

Make sure that nMute is not grounded, the voltage on nMUTE should equal Va+ if the amplifier is not muted.
nMute is left floating and has no voltage. nDisable, however, has 4 Vdc
Make sure that there is no DC voltage present at the input of the amplifier, as low as a few hundred millivolts will make the amplifier shut down the output stages.
No Dc voltage at input. (the second amplifer module works perfectly with the same preamp)
No voltage on Va+/Va- would indicate the aux supply fuse has gone. I’ve just checked our records and it looks like the modules you have are the slightly older model, before Anaview switched to using a chip fuse instead of a resistor. If you look on the back, instead of F200, you should have a resistor labelled R209.
Are you able to measure the resistance across it? If it’s opened then the module will go into shutdown until the fuse/resistor is replaced.
Details for that resistor are as follows:
Welwyn LRCS0805-0R2FT5
Designator: R209
Size: 0805
Power : 250mW
Res : 200mOhm
Farnell number: 1506143

Yes, I have the R209 resistor on both of my modules. I measured it and go 0,1-0,2 Ohm. My multimeter doesnt seem to be more accuerat than that. But atleast it shows that its not open.*
I did however blow the resistor on my other module last night. This was entirely my fault, and i ordered new F200 fuses to change on that board. I can change to F200 fuse on both my modules when i´m at it and see if thats fixes the problem?
I installed the new fuse, but it didnt seem to help. The unit is still dead silent.*

I'm sorry that I cant give you a better answer but I hope it helps in some ways.

B.R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.