What class d amp should I use for a portable speaker? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2015, 06:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What class d amp should I use for a portable speaker?

Hi,

I am going to build a speaker for calling birds outdoors on battery and I found a suitable light driven speaker:

db521 - Polk Audio
(4 ohm, 93 db!, weather sealed, 500grams, the range 60-22khz is ok (under 60 is not many birds))

I wanted a small box (I am going to CAD the box and print it from a 3D-printer so 5 1/4" size is the limit for the speaker).

Now to my question: what class d amp should I get that matches the speaker ok? The cost for the amp should be max $150, hopefully much less,

I want the system to run 10h on battery with 100db or so. I was thinking of using some Li-Po batterys like 16.8v 5200mAh (depending on what the amp wants).

The total weight should be under 4kg hopefully under 3kg.

Any suggestion what amp I should get? I will only play mono with one speaker so any that can easy be bridged is fine, if not.. thats fine too. I will play with devices (mp3-players) that has 3.5mm connection but see that some amps has bluetooth 4.0 but have problems?! If any amp with bluetooth works its better if not, I can live with it. So any advice and suggestion on the way is good. I "just" need the right parts, an old friend that knows his stuff will help me put it all together.

Should this one do the trick?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...036302462.html

Last edited by Alexandersson; 27th July 2015 at 08:58 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!