TA2021B amp and Dc offset issues.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I hope this hasnt been covered somewhere else- if so apologies, but i can only find references to this kit on german sites and my german isnt great :p

Okay so i bought this TA2012B kit from art0.de and have assembled. See pics. Everything turns on, and one channel works great. The other output measures a DC voltage of 0.6V across it's output. I havent connected this to any speakers yet, fearing what it will do to them.

There is a trimpot that adjusts the dc offset, but the corresponding trimpot, doesnt have any affect on the dc offset except to boost the offset to 13v, which faults out the chip and shuts off the amp.

I have measured the voltages for all points i could find on the schematic and is like this:

on the TA2021b chip
1- 5v
2- 16v
3 - 6.69v
11 - 2.55v
15 - 2.5v
16 - 2.4v
36 - 22v

@j4
out 2 (-) - 6.96v
out 2 (+) - 6.34

@j6
out 1 (-) - 6.67v
out 1 (+) - 6.62v

the common point between rj50k (the two trims) - 5.08V

I have also taken the trimpot off the board and checked that it measures 50k across lugs 1 and 3.

Anyone have any idea what i can do to diagnose and fix this problem. Sorry if this is super noob, ive been building guitar pedals for ages, but this is my first amp.

SCHEMATIC: http://www.art0.de/downloads-ta2021b/ta2021b-274-circuit-300dpi.pdf
DATASHEET: http://www.art0.de/images/ta2021b.pdf

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks heaps in advance!
Steve

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm just looking at the circuit. Does the offset pot on the good channel have the ability to trim the offset 'either way' so that while keeping the meter leads the same across the load, the offset can be swung both positive and negative.

How does the bad channel compare in the sort of adjustment range possible ?

Is the 'feel' of the pot similar between channels... not the physical feel but the rate at which the offset adjusts.

There is not much else beside the IC really for this, assuming that all parts are correctly fitted and the correct values.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The offset is way below any point damage would occur, 0.6 volts is only 120 milliwatts even if the speaker were 3 ohm. For a nominal 8 ohm load its just 45 milliwatts.

You really need to observe how the offset pot on the good channel behaves. For example is the good channel pot centred to give zero offset (or is it almost at one end) and is the bad one at one end and still not going low enough. Does the good and bad channel offsets increase by similar amounts 'per degree' of pot rotation or is the bad channel totally different.

Something else which I'll just mention... some DVM's get upset by any high frequency noise that is present on the voltage being measured, and this being a Class D amp is really all filtered noise. It might be worth you adding a series resistor and cap across the load and then measuring the offset by taking the voltage across the cap. That would form a filter and remove much of the noise. See if the readings are different doing it that way. Resistor can be anything over say 10k and the cap something like a 10uf electrolytic.

Thanks so much Mooly!

Ive been crazy with work the last week, but ill get some time later on and give it another look over. Thanks for the tips.

From memory, the trimpot that has next to no offset is mostly centred. It required perhaps half a rotation to one rotation. the other is at the far end of it's screw so to speak..

Hi! :)

I just registered and I am an absolute beginner. I don't know anything really.
I registered to ask some other stuff about this kit.

I got this kit some days ago and it's the 2-74 version.
When you measured the voltage on the chip you probably mixed them up when you wrote them down.
Anyway pin 2 should be 6V and pin 3 16V.
You wrote the opposite.
Is it a mix up or maybe there is a real problem?

This thread i 1.5 years old so...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.