Biamping Tripath amps- PLLXO and active xo questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.I have 4 inch and 5 inch aucharm FR drivers.I am using 4 inch 4ohm 88dB one in a sealed 5lt box and driving it with TA2020 amp.Sound is nice but it needs bass.I purchased TP22 topping amp to drive 5 inch 8ohm 90dB one.I want to make a 2way system with PLLXO or active crossover.Crossover point i am planning is at 340Hz.Which one is more suitable for this application?PLLXO or active?
And i do not know the input impedance of these Tripath amps.TA2020 one does not have an input resistors to the ground.
Does anybody know what the input impedance of these amps?This info is needed for PLLXO design.Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You may find this page site useful. There is a spreadsheet that lets you calculate the PLLXO component values and the effect it has given amp input impedance.

You may find that a multichannel headphone ($40) amp to use as a buffer driver/receiver so that you free yourself from the amp impedance may be useful. It then is sort of active with buffers and preamps, but the XO is not in an op amp loop.

I have made a 2nd order one at 340Hz actually - works but no comparison when looking at miniDSP. I suggest you get a miniDSP - lets you dial it in and experiment.

And Dsp wants around 40usd bullsht shipping fee by SF express for such a little package.40usd shipping for an item that costs 105usd is making people not to buy IMHO .Express Cargo is very bad for customs here too (I can send a package like it for 15usd by air mail in my country )HK post is even cheaper than our post. I wrote a message them by sending HK air mail but no response received

Last edited:
40usd here

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-17-22-18-17.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-17-22-18-17.png
    93.8 KB · Views: 141
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PLLXO will have the lowest amount of colouration and will subtract next to nothing from the signal, but has the least versatility & you have to design very much with its limitations.

The miniDSP converts the signal from analog to digital and then back again, with its price tag these will be of limited quality -- you will see lots of comments about this. It is very versatile thou.very low

The PLLXO is also no cost -- depends howexpensive in & outs, a box and extra cables are -- if you go that far.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.