Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3251d2
TPA3251d2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2015, 11:43 PM   #21
doctormord is offline doctormord  Germany
diyAudio Member

TPA3251d2-tpa3251d2_5_960-jpg

Needs some 3.5mm jack..

Good night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPA3251D2_5_960.jpg (85.8 KB, 1691 views)

Last edited by doctormord; 18th July 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 19th July 2015, 01:06 AM   #22
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormord View Post
TPA3251d2-tpa3251d2_5_960-jpg

Needs some 3.5mm jack..

Good night.
Very nice locking mock up picture!
Old 20th July 2015, 06:09 PM   #23
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

TPA3251d2
If you can pull that off let me be the first to shout "group buy"!

/U.
Old 21st July 2015, 02:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I guess so, schematic is finished.
Old 21st July 2015, 03:32 PM   #25
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I guess so, schematic is finished.
Any chance I can have a peek?
Old 21st July 2015, 03:35 PM   #26
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Needs some 3.5mm jack..

Good night.
Hi, why a 3.5 mm jack ? For headphones or, heaven forbid, for the inputs ? Worst connector since ages, alway bad contacts and crackling. I replaced so many of them that I never use them in my own designs.

edit: just checked your web page and it seems you use them for inputs. Bad choice compared to RCA. Sorry. Using RCA is standard and RCA to 3.5 mm cables can be bought. It would make your design way more user friendly, maybe you can use both ? With a power amp as this chip crackling seems to be very unwished for.

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st July 2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 21st July 2015, 03:49 PM   #27
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

My card design is still in the planning stages.

I'm kicking a few ideas around, with the thoughts of making the card a bit more high end - I'll probably toss on a switching regulator to make +-12V out of PVCC, to power AVCC as well as a proper differential audio input stage.
Old 21st July 2015, 04:18 PM   #28
impuls60 is offline impuls60  Norway
diyAudio Member

Cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with gmarsh!
Old 21st July 2015, 05:45 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Hi, why a 3.5 mm jack ?
Because i can.

Quote:
Worst connector since ages, alway bad contacts and crackling. I replaced so many of them that I never use them in my own designs.
I never had any issues for the last 40 amp boards. So maybe yours where all from poor quality or not properly used/soldered. I use them always in a self grounding configuration to mute/ground the inputs when no connection is made.

Quote:
edit: just checked your web page and it seems you use them for inputs. Bad choice compared to RCA. Sorry.
Well, even RCA is not GND before Signal when making a connection, so RCA is far from optimal as well. As my normal amp designs are made to be small and portable, i did not used RCA connectors mainly because of their size. Those amps are 50*50mm˛..

Quote:
It would make your design way more user friendly, maybe you can use both ? With a power amp as this chip crackling seems to be very unwished for.
If you will have a look again, you may notice that there's normally a pinheader for an alternative input.

Millions of millions of mobiles,mp3-players etc. worldwide get stressed/stretched/used every day with lots of force on the 3.5mm connectors. Quality ones wont fail, cheap ones will.

But in the end, there will be RCA (at least) on this board.

Beside this, do you prefer an opamp differential input stage or a PNP differential amp with constant current?
Old 21st July 2015, 06:05 PM   #30
jean-paul is offline jean-paul  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, even RCA is not GND before Signal when making a connection, so RCA is far from optimal as well. As my normal amp designs are made to be small and portable, i did not used RCA connectors mainly because of their size. Those amps are 50*50mm˛..

Millions of millions of mobiles,mp3-players etc. worldwide get stressed/stretched/used every day with lots of force on the 3.5mm connectors. Quality ones wont fail, cheap ones will.
GND before signal has not been the primary goal of RCA and who plugs in connectors on a live power amp ?

I have used many different 3.5 mm jacks and if the connector does not fail then the cable will. Also in mobile phones it is one of the most failing connectors with micro USB as a good second one. These connectors were not designed for high quality but for low cost. Talk to a repairman (I was one myself) and I know what answer you'll get The quality ones just last a bit longer. I am not an advocate for RCA but when do you see an RCA plug/jack fail ? Of course you can use 3.5 mm "because you can". You can also design 50 x 50 mm2 boards to keep costs low but isn't this hobby meant to get the best out of a design ? Since when is very small size obligatory ? To be able to use 3.5 mm connectors and leave out the coils ?

Just joking, I understand you only want portable stuff and thus you do some concessions but TPA3251D2 won't be for portable designs I guess.

Last edited by jean-paul; 21st July 2015 at 06:16 PM.

TPA3251d2Hide this!Advertise here!