Replacement Capacitor Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built an amp for my sister using Icepower ASX50 modules (4 channel) and after a short time one of the modules went up in smoke so I replaced it with another one I had as I assumed it would be something I couldn't fix.

I have had a play with the broken module today and realised it has just blown a small cap on top of the board that is across two pins of the rectifier, see picture. There is another cap on the bottom of the board (see picture) that is also across two pins of the rectifier, I removed that cap & measured it and it is 10nf. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping somebody can answer.

1. Given I have 250V in my house do I have to use a replacement cap with a voltage higher than 250v?
  2. I will not be able to solder the cap back into the original position so I was thinking of using a leaded cap & soldering it across the rectifier pins under the board, would this be ok?
  3. What does this cap do?
By the way, I found when I removed the blown cap the module seems to work fine.

Attachments

• ASX50 Topside.jpg
    ASX50 Topside.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 154
  • ASX50 Underside.jpg
    ASX50 Underside.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 150
Just so there's no confusion the module in the photos is fine, the damaged module is fixed to a board so it was easier to take photo's of a module I had laying around.

When you say "use the correct voltage" what does that actually mean? The choices in leaded ceramic cap at the local supplier are, 50v, 100v, 200v & 500v, I assume I should use the 500v?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Which pins of the bridge is each cap across ? The caps could see much higher than 500 volts across them.

When the mains is at its peak (250 vrms is over 350 volts peak) then the + terminal of the bridge is at around 350 volts DC. As the mains swings toward the negative half cycle then the AC input pins swing 350 volts (peak) below that voltage. So the cap could see 700 volts peak across its terminals.

Caps for this kind of duty are normally specified as such (not standard 1000 vdc caps)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This might help. The cap is shown across one diode, I've used AC to bridge positive because its easier to visualise but its exactly the same from AC to negative. The cap can see 700 volts each half cycle. That means a 1000 volt DC rated part is needed but nowadays parts for mains duty are always rated as such. A standard 1000 volt part might not survive because its a 'tough' location with frequent mains spikes and so on easily exceeding the rating.

Attachments

• Cap.png
    Cap.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 135
This might help. The cap is shown across one diode, I've used AC to bridge positive because its easier to visualise but its exactly the same from AC to negative. The cap can see 700 volts each half cycle. That means a 1000 volt DC rated part is needed but nowadays parts for mains duty are always rated as such. A standard 1000 volt part might not survive because its a 'tough' location with frequent mains spikes and so on easily exceeding the rating.

Don't you hate that, I jumped in and ordered 500v caps before your first post:rolleyes:they had 1000V as well:(

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They are anything but (or should be).

Caps for mains duty need to be specially selected. Something similar to these Vishays would be suitable.

These are 250vac rated and are designed for this kind of use. The other file tells you when and where to use Class X and Class Y ratings and what the risks are.

Attachments

• vjsafetycapsx7r.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Class X and Y Capacitors.pdf
    488.8 KB · Views: 39
The PIV (peak inverse voltage) rating of a bridge rectifier should be at least 3times the AC voltage applied across the bridge rectifier.
i.e. for a 240Vac transformer winding or supply, the bridge rectifier should be rated to at least 720V
This is for the whole bridge rectifier.

For a discrete 4 diode rectifier, each diode must be rated for half that, i.e. for a 240Vac winding/supply use >360V diodes.

In the UK the maximum supply voltage (not including interference) is now 253Vac. Prior to harmonisation it was 254Vac.
The new harmonised supply would require the bridge rectifier to have a PIV rating of > ~759V

Does this apply over the whole of Europe?

Last edited:
Mooly can you look again?
I think you have two diodes in series resisting the 700Vpk reverse voltage.

you point to 700Vdc (post6) across the capacitor and diode.

But as I see it there are two diodes in series resisting that 700Vdc.
Each diode sees ~ half peak inverse voltage if they both leak the same current.
Or do I see it wrongly?

L and N via a choke and applied to the bridge.
More usually no choke and via a current limiting Power NTC.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The PIV (peak inverse voltage) rating of a bridge rectifier should be at least 3times the AC voltage applied across the bridge rectifier.
i.e. for a 240Vac transformer winding or supply, the bridge rectifier should be rated to at least 720V
This is for the whole bridge rectifier.

No, each diode of the bridge has to block one single peak voltage, as is stored in the bulk cap behind that rectifier. Thus the standard voltage of primary rectifiers found in ac adapters is 400Vac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.