2x100W TPA3116D2 (2 chips, each in PBTL)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AmmoBlaster tpa3116d2 2x100watts

So far, I use the board bone stock and add a 2500uf capacitor to the power input. Works great.
The board works fine on 12v but really comes alive at 20v.
The sound is very clear and clean and the boards seem immune to the rigors of their current enviroment. I mount them on silicone isolators and then further dampen the mounting board with foam rubber, but they still get a good thrashing and just keep screaming.

Attachments

• 20140930_191331.jpg
    20140930_191331.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 1,769
  • IMG_308510760445821.jpeg
    IMG_308510760445821.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,714
  • 20150705_201817.jpg
    20150705_201817.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 1,706
I just got my board on Friday and hooked it up quick and dirty today just to take it for a spin.

At first the sound seemed to have a scratchy feel to it and it seemed like some sounds where getting kind of muted once in a while. I unplugged the power and speaker connections and tried to reconnect them better (the terminals on the board kind of suck...).

Result: Oh my god, I can't believe what an amazing bargain this little board is. It sounds ridiculously good for something at this pricepoint. I don't have any measuring equipment so this is all subjective of course, but so far I'm pretty happy.

Regarding the 100W claim I'm not sure this delivers anything more than the single-chip TPA3116 boards. You'd need speakers below 4 ohm to get any extra juice to flow anyway...

Here's a picture of the board running, included an AAA battery for size comparison :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

All in all this was a pretty great deal! :D

Just as a heads up for anyone thinking about getting one of these. After listening at several levels for a few hours I realized there is a slight volume mismatch between left and right channels when listening at very low levels.

I'm not sure if this is the volume pot's fault or if each of the TPA chips has slightly different gain. I don't notice any difference when listening at low-normal levels.

If synch doesn't work between two chips, I think there also could be level difference.

:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks man, I guess I'll have to measure it and maybe get a replacement...

Or I might just create a battery powered mobile system out of this, in which case I won't be listening to it on low levels :)

Do they route the full power over the little switch within the pot? o_O

Most if not all chinese 2.1, 2 chip 3116 ampboards use datasheet values for synch that do not work, left chip seen from input works at ~400khz switchingfrequency, right chip works in a band around 100khz switchingfrequency, ~50khz carier/basic frequency.
I read, I think about tpa3116, but could be any other switching chip, that gain varies a little with switchingfrequency, hence it might be difference between chinese board/datasheet left and right chips. But again, pot inequality is most certainly there too, like all old Quad's had (most annoying memory)

Do you guys think they use Texas Instruments chips or do they use Chinese clones of those chips ?
I'm asking since the price for these chips seems to be about $2/chip for a quantity of 2000. Since the boards have 2, that means $4 out of $11 are already spent for the chips only.
Can they build the whole board for $6-$7 so that they can make some profit ?

Do you guys think they use Texas Instruments chips or do they use Chinese clones of those chips ?
I'm asking since the price for these chips seems to be about $2/chip for a quantity of 2000. Since the boards have 2, that means $4 out of $11 are already spent for the chips only.
Can they build the whole board for $6-$7 so that they can make some profit ?

Apparently, they can;). If it is a clone in these boards, it is even more amazing since everyone (almost) who bought have positive comments about the sound!!

If all dualchip boards have identical smd resistors (through hole parts in outputfilter, capacitors and inductors values vary probably with productionrun). But photo just posted in 3116 mainthread has 100k/20k=26dB master gainsetting for left chip and for right chip 47k/75k = 26dB slave gainsetting.

If you breakdown price to find what amount producer had for components you need to take a price for total ampboard well below $6, seller I linked already is reseller and has several coupon options to reduce purchase and that is without asking price for 10 ampboards.

Any prices I have seen for dualchip board delivered to door seem very reasonable.

added: 1.1*(buyingprice+chinese shipping+international shipping)=price we can pay taobao agent with bank we wish, add paypalfee if you use PayPal and probably a little margin in currency convertion too:) Buyingprice for 10 will be lower than for 1, chinese shipping is fixed total amount, same total for 1 or 1000 ampboards, here always $0.80 in total, international shipping, from china to EU, around $2 per 100 gramms, ampboards probably around 65 gramms??? So sellingprices we see for dualchipboard most seem low, ebayseller audiobah's ac1308 price isn't very low, Alieexpress price for chinese Wiener also isn't very low. ac1308 (base)sellingprice is $7.50, chinese wiener (Ydbz) $4.40, selling prices Ebay/Alie $29 and $19 last time I looked.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.