Topping TP21 sounds odd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What speaker is making the cupped sound (basically muffled HF's)? Is it a singular full range or a multiway with a XO? I have heard a cupped sound from my active 3-way once and it was the HF channel's inductor overheating (bad amp) causing dramatic reduction in power delivered to the tweeter. A bad inductor or cheap output cap on the LC filter can also saturate and cause significant HF power to drop making the cupped sound.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The cupped sound is notable in the vocals. It's happening on all of the speakers I've tried - all full / wide range drivers. You know I'm a fullrange fanatic!

It's not terrible, but it's different. I'm wondering if it's because I'm pushing the amp. I think it's less powerful than the others dispite being rated for higher power (except for the DTA-100).

Have you checked the polarity on right/left? Try swapping the polarity on one side and see if it improves? If it's wrong it sounds 'hollow' and fatiguing - just does not sound right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.