TDA7492 Amp

SMSL makes nice higher end stuff with good quality components. Don't know what shipping is on link you gave. Same amp on Amazon is $105.

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-98E-TDA7498E-amplifier-digital/dp/B00JESRNKO

I see!

Shipping here is $2. That's local (Taiwan).

I was a bit off on the exchange (been a long time since I looked at that) and it's more like $76, plus shipping. Still cheaper than Amazon.

Still thinking of getting that one, instead of the crappy "sub" TPA3116 bridged 100w I got earlier.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I meant input to speakers, or output of amp. Of course different gains will mean different outputs for same input. Just not sure what point of measuring SPL? From looking at board, I am guessing it is setup for 33.6dB gain if both pins 30 & 31 are held at high logic level.That would be +7.6dB gain from TPA3116 26dB gain.

The snubber used on the input of the inductor for the TPA3116 was 330pF and 10R. I just used same one because that was what I had on hand. I don't even know if it is right for the 7492. It does seem to have similar values for the inductor and output capacitor values.

Do you see 22R used somewhere? Oh I see what you are saying as there is a 330pF and 22R connecting the two inductor inputs together. I don't know if that is a snubber as it doesn't go to ground - just between the positive and negative legs.

Isnt this a circuit commonly used to level impedance across speaker terminals?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Isnt this a circuit commonly used to level impedance across speaker terminals?

Can you show me other examples of this impedance leveler? Sounds interesting. My 330pF and 10R to ground seems to still work to clean up the harsheness though.

Did more A/B testing between this and my old 3116 Ybdz (with same mods) and I still think this cheap 7492 sounds more dynamic. Maybe not as clean with a bit more harshness and grit but more dynamic and punchier bass.

Can you show me other examples of this impedance leveler? Sounds interesting. My 330pF and 10R to ground seems to still work to clean up the harsheness though.

Maybe not so common then. Got the explanation in a bookmark of me internet saved pages, I'll find it and let you know. As I've been working on the pllxo and new OB lately so it will be in literature about crossovers somewhere in my pages.

I am talking about the CR between L legs, not your snubber mod. I wondered if its to do with IC output legs prefering to see a constant impedance.

Also noted on data sheet that the chip has 60kohm input impedance. Too high for my set up, but more like power amp impedance than the 3116.

You want high impedance for PLLXO - that is ideal almost. You get less loss through the PLLXO stage for higher impedance amp inputs.

With 26dB inputs the 3116 has 30kOhm impedance - right at the edge of usability. Although what gain was the 60k rating at? It depends on gain.

Wish that was the only thing that a higher impedance did to the pllxo. The higher the impedance the smaller the caps get. And, I am already down to a 40-50nf cap as the HP for the woofer with the 3116 set at 30k.

Only 1 input impedance is mentioned on page 10 of datasheet, 60k. No mention of it changing with any of the 4 gain settings. Apparently it has an internal resistor we for the 60k.

I'll keep the 7492 stuff for its own thread from now on as you intended.

Here's the datasheet link

www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/.../CD00205863.pdf

lol... Of course I knew of pf. But find it far more difficult to find such low farads in the required types of cap for purpose. Have no probs with tweeters as don't mind Teflon or tantalum or even ceramic in that line. But woofer a different kettle of fish.

Once I have the complete system nailed I will then move to modding the caps themselves to improve ambience, texture, and tone.

I try not to approach from conventional path as lemmings never innovate.

For what I was talking about with the CR between legs of IC to LR read the "Zobel networks and loudspeaker drivers" section of the following

Zobel network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I said "impedance levelling" when would have said "resistance equalisation".

Its presence would indicate the 7492 doesn't necessarily like varying resistance it might see from LC. It must replace the bootstrap caps which are on the 3116 board.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I thought caps for tweeter is more critical for tone and woofers are less critical? Anyhow, this is line level caps which are different than speaker level caps that actually have to carry lots of current. Look at all the SMT ceramic pF caps in your source whether it is CD player or DAC. For big speaker level caps I found that oil filled motor run caps are great low cost alternative for 50uF caps and up.

I thought caps for tweeter is more critical for tone and woofers are less critical? Anyhow, this is line level caps which are different than speaker level caps that actually have to carry lots of current. Look at all the SMT ceramic pF caps in your source whether it is CD player or DAC. For big speaker level caps I found that oil filled motor run caps are great low cost alternative for 50uF caps and up.

Depends on your drivers and choice of how to drive them. Using a 1" tweeter the optimum full input frequency is 13500Hz not a great deal of tone there, but plenty of high detail and harmonics. my cross over frequency for HP tweeter is not quite finalised, but somewhere between 6k and 6k5 using a 4th order Butterworth. The woofer will carry most tone, including all of the vocal range, and drops off 1st Butterworth in top octave. Found a
Great table of equations for the various filters from

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Sysdes/Crossover_component_values.gif

I haven't much to say about smt/smd. Don't like them in signal line, and also prefer not to use them in DC supply either. That's why I'm replacing the 1nf/100nf/10nf caps in the 3116 dc supply line which were under the heatsink with leaded. If I had the 7492 board I would end up spending more replacing them than the board cost.

I have considered the motor run caps. But read a seriously interlectual PhD paper on the effects different casing materials of capacitors/batteries have. I'm looking at moving away from metal and plastic casings. Experimenting with modding basic caps with varying paper, wax and wood casings to optimise them.

Don't know about them in CD player or DAC as I am using mobile devices while I finish a new transport using a UART WiFi module mated to a cs4397 DAC board using i2s between the two. That projects on hold while I look at the AK4393/4396 as an alternative as it has stronger output voltage.

I found this one... 160w + 160w. It's about $60 but comes with power brick, and case.

I'm thinking I could power up a couple of subs to go with my TPA3116D2 50w + 50w.

ÅS¤Ñ©ç½æ-¥xÆW NO.1 ©ç½æºô¯¸

(there's some English on that page)

that amp uses TDA7498E.
it delivers higher power only into 4Ohm speakers.
afaik there's only one bare board available.
Tda7498e 160w+160w class d verstrker abgeschlossen bord wlx in Tda7498e 160w+160w class d verstrker abgeschlossen bord wlx Ich gebe es Ihnen innerhalb von 4 Tage von china Post aus Verstrker auf AliExpress.com | Alibaba Group

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This is kind of OT but as I was on the Aliexpress website looking at these TDA7498's and 92's some very nice looking class A 30watt boards popped up. Looking more carefully at this one is looks very simple - and reminds of the simplicity of a Pass class A. This particular one of driven by two 19v smps bricks is good for 16 watts. That is actually not bad and the curiosity in me wants to try. Has anyone tried cheap Chinese class A FET amps? Just needs a heatsink and some laptop bricks for dual rail.

Online Shop Dual Channel Audio Digital Amplifier 30W Class A High Current Amplifier FET Finished Amplifier Board|Aliexpress Mobile

I found this one... 160w + 160w. It's about $60 but comes with power brick, and case.

I'm thinking I could power up a couple of subs to go with my TPA3116D2 50w + 50w.

ÅS¤Ñ©ç½æ-¥xÆW NO.1 ©ç½æºô¯¸

(there's some English on that page)

Looks like it is a SMSL product. I recalled someone commented favourably on their TPA3116 amp in the 3116 thread.