Subwoofer amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got TPA3116 2.1 amp. It sounds good but it subwoofer does not sound good at all, sounds very muffled, the base is not pronounced and tight enough and it leaks sounds through the sub as well....

My current subwoofer is mini Voxel sub.

So I thought on getting a dedicated subwoofer amp with a hope that it going to give me better performance.

At the moment I've found this one TDA8920. As I am looking for something in a smaller size.

The only confusion I have is how I'm going to send an audio signal from my audio source or the speaker amp to this subwoofer amp. What wires and plugs do i need to look for in order to complete this amp? Please help.

---
After spending some time on PE, just found this 2.1 baord amp, looks very good, but I think it is not widely available to the public yet.

Last edited:
I looked at that subwoofer element and it has 82db sensitivity which is incredibly low -->low volume compared to regular 90db speakers! I suggest you increase gain like danzz suggested.
The main problem could be that the lowpass filter isn't aggressive enough. If high pitched voices are shining through the sub then thats your problem. Then I'll recommend that you get that TDA8920 if it has a 12db/19db low pass filter.(6db isn't enough).
You'll get more sound from the sub if you switch to that 35V input amp, but it uses dual rail powersupply so you'll have to get a powersupply aswell. Just a reminder:)
Good luck!

Last edited:
I looked at that subwoofer element and it has 82db sensitivity which is incredibly low -->low volume compared to regular 90db speakers! I suggest you increase gain like danzz suggested.
The main problem could be that the lowpass filter isn't aggressive enough. If high pitched voices are shining through the sub then thats your problem. Then I'll recommend that you get that TDA8920 if it has a 12db/19db low pass filter.(6db isn't enough).
You'll get more sound from the sub if you switch to that 35V input amp, but it uses dual rail powersupply so you'll have to get a powersupply aswell. Just a reminder:)
Good luck!

What 2.1 amps would you suggest or which ones have you used yourself that worked well?

What 2.1 amps would you suggest or which ones have you used yourself that worked well?
Hi Eugene,

Currently I'm playing with this circuitboard:
YJ 24VDC 2.1 channel TL074 + TPA3123 digital amplifier board 2*25W +50W Subwoofer-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
It drives two old 4Ohm Phillips two way speakers for the stereo signal and a bandpass sub with two 8" speakers on the sub channel.
Sounds great; both main and sub channels controls are in the nine o'clock position for listening when sitting at the computer.
With my 16,7V power supply, the amp starts to clip when the main volume is in the 2 o'clock position, but that's already way louder than I like to listen...
This kind of amp is also available as a complete unit with casing.

When it has to be (a lot) louder, I use this D-Class stereo amp for left and right channel:
LINE5 A950 50W digitale HIFI Stereo Power Amplifier - Black + Gold - Gratis Verzending - DealExtreme
The subwoofer is powered with this amp:
IRFI4019 IRS2092 200W Class D Mono Amplifier AMP Board 330UF/100V*2 20mA | eBay
Using this rectifier board:
Gratis verzending! Diy onderdelen! Wholesale retail gemonteerd gelijkrichter filter voedingsprint 4*10000uf/63v voor versterkerprint in Gratis verzending! Diy onderdelen! Wholesale-retail gemonteerd gelijkrichter filter voedingsprint 4*10000uf/63v vo
And this low-pass filter curcuit board:
Neu Finished Low-pass Filter NE5532 Subwoofer Process Circuit Für Amplifer | eBay
As I had the toroid transformer (330VA 4,7A met 35+35V) on the shelf for several years, this amp was the opportunity to make use of it, but it is the most expensive part of the subwoofer amp.

The signal for the sub is the stereo signal, from the soundcard/cd player/MP3 player, the same as goes to the stereo amp.

It can get scaringly loud with these two amps, but it stays clean until the speakers can't take more volume.
By than I have the neighbours at the door complaining...

Regards, Jan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.