Full digital amplifier with chip STA326

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another happy camper here

I've just received and hooked up one of the FX D802 amps. Feeding it HD digital in via co-ax as the analogue input is reputedly not good.

First impressions are that you would have to be very critical not to like this little amp. Output before distortion reaches audible levels is I think well short of the claimed 80/50w max but its completely clean up to well over any volume I can get away with playing at home. That's in a medium size room with some small 96db speakers not stuff specially selected for tiny amps.

Out of the box its set up with loads of bass and treble that for thirty seconds or so actually sounded pretty nice. After that I set eq to flat, bass & treble at zero and settled down to listen. This little amp provides a very clear, detailed and analytical listen throughout the range but it is real detail not just over prominent treble. The level of base control is impressive with tremendous resolution of dynamics and resonance for deep acoustic drums.

So, what don't I like about it? There was something a little odd going on with sibilance on one track, but not any others so far, and I'm not 100% sure I prefer the super detail style reproduction to the more integrated reproduction with my old valve gear - this is a bit unfair as we are talking about a 50:1 price difference here. Unless you are much younger than me and have better eyesight the small display is really difficult to read but that's the worst criticism I can find for it so far.

A very interesting and enjoyable foray into new amp technology without spending much money :)

impressions - fx-d802 vs i.am.d v200

I've recently aquired a v200 as well when I had a spot of bother with the fx-d802 and couldn't persuade it to play for a while. So that does give me a chance to report how they sound in comparison, both with their bundled 24v supplies.

v200 - has an aux input if you need analogue in, has more power available before it starts to distort, display and control logic slower and less intuitive than the d802. can't grumble at all at the sq for the price.

d802 - this still amazes me in how realistically acoustic instruments are portrayed and I still get shivers down the spine at times with this playing well recorded music. You absolutely must have the DSP switched out to hear this though though, DSP in use and the magic instantly dissapears and it becomes just another decently competent amp.

I'm glad to have my d802 running again :)

I'd love to see a China amp/board come out with USB programming of the EQ and crossover sections of these chips.

I used to think the same way but have regrettably come to the conclusion that the first thing you have to do with any of these cheap integrated DSP amps is to turn the DSP off - as soon as they are in use all the life and detail seems to disappear from the music.

To be transparent something a lot better seems to be needed for crossover/EQ via DSP. I'm (very slowly) working up a PC (actually Odroid SoC) active crossover here.

Sir
Thank you for confirming I will not need a DAC. Not that I understand the physics, but if such a thing exists, I will accept its function without too much questioning.

Surely this is a good thing?

But I agree optical input would be a great option.

So is there a better option?

Sir - WOW......

If there is no DAC and you can pick up a STA326 chip amp for USD65 on eBay....is this correct?? Seems too good....

Do they sound good...?? I am no audiophile (meaning I have little money and love value)....so this is like opening the candy store???

I am sure it is too good to be true??? Tell me I am dreaming.

Sir
I must have been living under a rock....this is great news.

But they are rather hard to find.....???

I am thinking of miniDSP for the room eq. But I am a dinosour with all pro-audio 19" rack stuff....So moving on is hard. Old Dog New Trick stuff.

So call me stupid, why is not everyone burning their DAC and going full digital Amp???

Sorry for the questions. Just seems like I have found the answer to the ultimate question - 42....(Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)....

DAC chain:
Digital PCM -> DAC -> Analog -> Class D AMP ADC -> PWM -> Speakers

Digital chain:
Digital PCM -> Class D AMP PWM -> Speakers

There are some alternatives with optical input like Chinese amps with STA326 chip.

Digital chain is missing a link

Digital PCM -> Digital to PWM converter -> Class D amp PWM -> Speakers

If the Digital PWM is not open loop, then a analog feedback is in use, and the pure digital signal is gone. It has to be open loop to be digital, but then you need a very good regulated power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.