Full digital amplifier with chip STA326

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So my question is…. To remain in the digital realm – is there a software solution???

The easiest way to achieve what you want is to get a DSP with an SPDIF input and an SPDIF output. It looks like the miniDSP plus the miniDIGI would do that. Then find a digital amp with SPDIF input.

But need to make sure the miniDIGI can output separate left and right channels SPDIF, each with LF + HF. I don't know offhand whether their software allows that. I know you could do it by writing your own code for the ADAU1701 DSP chip on the miniDSP, but that gets complicated. The ASD program that I have would help you do that, but you would also need one of the piggyback boards I have for the miniDSP to take control of the DSP chip. Maybe the miniDSP software will do the job--you need to ask them or find someone who knows more about the product.

I don't know of any other "ready-made" solutions.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
MiniDIGI only have one spdif out, so not enough

You need nanoDIGI for at full digital in/out DSP solution. MiniDSP also have I2S output, and could be a solution - but not many amplifiers out there with i2s input

You're right. Plus, it looks like the miniDSP code only allows L/R on the SPDIF or I2S output, instead of LF/HF.

You can create two I2S streams in the ADUA1701 where one is the right LF/HF and the other is the left LF/HF, but you have to generate the right code using SigmaStudio. And then you must be able to load it into the ADAU1701, which requires a micro with the right code. And if the amplifier is a long distance away (more than 6"), you would need to convert the I2S streams to SPDIF. And since the miniDIGI only has the one output, this would need to be a custom hardware design. So scratch that brainfart.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any off-the-shelf product that allows an all digital signal path for multiway active speakers. Every product I can think of uses a DAC and an analog connection to the power amps.

Last edited:
Gentlemen

A thousand thank you’ s

Kjeldsen

I am sure you know what you are doing…. but I do not….

“try read this.

Windows PC as a FIR Audio Processor (Windows PC as a FIR Audio Processor)”

Yes, I tried this all afternoon – NFI…No it did not work as I have NO …. Idea what I am doing. I downloaded all the software and none of the windows appeared….

Total confusion….

Or you can buy a couple of these

Hifimediy DDX320v2.3 - 2.1 Digital Amplifier
– discontinued.

So I am going to uninstall the above software and cry!!!!

I am also a little confused with some software as it asks for a 5.1 or 7.1 Soundcard. I have only the internal Realtek sound. BUT… I can play music from my Raspberry Pi3 with NO repeat NO sound card.

I am very appreciative of all the comments. But most of them I do not understand. But what I do understand is that it cannot be done???

My logical brain, says it MUST be achievable and some clever clogs would have done this already….

So I may have to fall on my sword and use all my old school equipment.

But surely we cannot give up. Surely this is the way we all want to go??????

NanoDIGI from MiniDSP will be quite easy to use. But, don't get to exited with digital input class d amplifier. A good DA converter will be just as good as a good PCM to PWM converter. No matter what - you have to convert - no free lunch. Well, DSD can directly be transformed to PWM, but that will limit your music catalogue to very few albums.

I have made the VSThost/ASIO route working - but I was no expert first. I used a couple of hours readin tutorials, a couple of hours finding VST crossovers, and then one hour to get sound throug my sound card (also internal). Then I used a couple of hours figuring out how to route channels in VSThost (very easy when you have done it once).

I am going from my test set-up to a new dedicated music PC soon, and I will try to make an easy tutorial based on a windows 10 system.

Theaspin:

Thank you and thanks to everyone who has helped.

I do have some questions:

1. why do I need a 5.1/7.1 sound card? I can play very good quality music from my Raspberry Pi3 using Digi+ and runneaudio. Plus, I take the digital (optical) output from my PC and connect it to my DAC. So if my thinking is correct, I am not using a sound card….

2. What is a STA amp.

So you are saying I should use 2 STA amps that have built in DSP. But the problem still exists how does one split the signal to send to the 2 amps? Or does one send the same signal to each amp and then each amp will remove the other channel??

I really want to avoid sound cards in the PC. I have a very good sound card but it does not physical fit into the PC…. just a little extra information.

Thanks again…but it still worries me no one has done this and it is not easily available

Help????

Kjeldsen:

I downloaded the VST ASIO etc…and I could not get anything to work let alone see any of the screen dumps. I did spend all of today and it was so confusing I just uninstalled the lot.

Surely it is not that hard??? Obviously so?

Still I cannot see why this is not in regular use….??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

foxint:
I was talking about doing cross-over on your PC. It's much easier to use a single card with multiple outputs than several USB DACs.

STA is STA326 or simiral fully digital amp from ST. As it has a built-in DSP, so you can program one amp to output HF L/R, second to output LF L/R. As a bonus, you can add extra filters to smooth out frequency response. For now, nobody has produced a device like this :)

foxint:
I was talking about doing cross-over on your PC. It's much easier to use a single card with multiple outputs than several USB DACs.

STA is STA326 or simiral fully digital amp from ST. As it has a built-in DSP, so you can program one amp to output HF L/R, second to output LF L/R. As a bonus, you can add extra filters to smooth out frequency response. For now, nobody has produced a device like this :)

Yes - a Japanese company made a 5.1 amplifier based on STA, and crossovers was available so you could make a 3-way stereo system. I have only seen it in Japan, and it was way to expensive. I also have a MiniDSP/MiniDIGI/MiniAMP = 4 pure digital channels - but only 4x15 watt, and not happy with impedance below 4 ohm

Theaspin

Thank you again and also everyone else…. I am still very confused with all of this???

I found this on eBay Finished STA326 50W 50W OLED 2 0 Class D Amp Amplifier Board | eBay USD62.59

It claims to be a 50/50Watt STA326 amp with Coax/OPT/USB inputs.

So we go back to the question how does one split the Left and Right channels to put Left HF&LF into Amp #1 and Right HF&LF into Amp #2.

For USD62.59 each…. seems like an economic solution.

Kjeldsen:

Thank you….

4 SPDIF outputs from the miniDSP NanoDIGI 2X8

Output 1 HF Left
Output 2 LF Left
Output 3 HF Right
Output 4 LF Right.

All good….but this is where I get TOTALLY CONFUSED…….

4 SPDIF on the NanoDIGI…so 4 RCA, BUT each STA or digital only amp (from eBay or elsewhere) has only 1 SPDIF input…..so HOW????

I have 4 SPDIF plugs and only 2 SPDIF inputs (1 each amp)???

Kjeldsen:

Thanks…I am very grateful for yoru time and effort explaining to an idiot....

I am stupid…. But I really do not understand….

4 SPDIF outputs from the miniDSP NanoDIGI 2X8

Output 1 HF Left RCA 1
Output 2 LF Left RCA 2
Output 3 HF Right RCA 3
Output 4 LF Right RCA 4

The picture shows 4 RCA so I am assuming 4 outputs…. this is obviously where I am not understanding???? Did not the block diagram show 4 distinct outputs from 4 distinct RCA??

I really do not understand how the HF/LF Left can go down one RCA and the HF/LF Right goes down another RCA?????

Not that I disbelieve you…but my analogue mind says RCA +/- coupled with the block diagram with 4 blocks….

VSThost – looks interesting…. but I have no idea what it is and reading and watching the videos I got very confused…. I am sure this is what I want????? Is it????

If this is it….can anyone help??

miniDSP NanoAVR – totally confused me… I like the Cat-6 (RF-45) connectors…. but not really understand how it plugs in???

Panasonic sa-xr-70 – thank you…. but looks far too complex…. now you want me to comprehend hdmi…. too hard, I do not have hdmi outputs.

4 SPDIF RCA = 8 output. You only need 4 output, and therefore you only nedd 2 SPDIF RCA from NanoDIGI.

VST - Asio etc. The VSThost is your hifirack. VST is your hifi components (equalizer, crossover etc) and ASIO is your interconnect cables.

I know it's a steep learning curve, but once you get it, it's relatively easy.

If you use NanoAVR you need a PC with HDMI (any cheap miniPC today have HDMI output) and you need a surround receiver with HDMI input (and digital amplifiers if you do not want conversion to analogue). HDMI just tranfers 8 channel audio from PC to Receiver. Just think of it as 8 digital mono cables.

In a couple of weeks (I hope), I can have a basic tutorial ready regarding VSThost.

Before I make the tutorial here is the basics using the PC

ASIO bridge --> VSThost --> VST crossover --> output --> amplifier --> loudspeaker

ASIO bridge assures bit perfect sound and that all sounds from PC goes into the VSThost (ASIO bridge is the cables that connects everything to your crossover).
From the crossover output you need a "cable" to amplifier input. This is also possible because of ASIO.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.