Filterless class d and tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. Could some one help me?
I have a few problems, that i could not find the answers:

1. Can soft dome tweeters be driven of filterless? I dont know what "soft dome" means, thats only info about them. Maybe i need to add output filter?

2. I only have one free pam8403 channel for them, and they make 2 ohm load, while pam8403 designed for 4ohm, could it work with high pass at aprox 6000hz because power is very low that high?
I could add 1.2 ohm resistor to reach 3.2ohm load, it would be still louder than series speakers. Only if its needed of course.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming soft dome means moving coil, you should be fine. Don't use a filterless class D to drive piezo tweeters, at least not with some series resistance.

You should be fine driving a 2 ohm load at reduced power - ultimately you're limited by output current, rather than load impedance. If the PAM chip trips off due to overcurrent, then try adding series resistance.

Or put your tweeters in series - it won't be as loud as paralled tweeters plus a resistor, but if it's adequately loud for your setup, hey.

Assuming soft dome means moving coil, you should be fine. Don't use a filterless class D to drive piezo tweeters, at least not with some series resistance.

You should be fine driving a 2 ohm load at reduced power - ultimately you're limited by output current, rather than load impedance. If the PAM chip trips off due to overcurrent, then try adding series resistance.

Or put your tweeters in series - it won't be as loud as paralled tweeters plus a resistor, but if it's adequately loud for your setup, hey.

Thank you. This is portable speaker.
My setup is like this: 3 x russian paper 4ohm "almostfulranges" :D (they reach 12.5khz)
Each about 92db sensitivity. And 2 tweeters.
Tweeters box says that they are 94db, but i dont know if it is true.
Series tweeters can't keep up. Will be trying to conect parralel maybe at even 8-9khz crossover.

All was driven by TDA2050. 1.3ohm :D @ 12V supply + tweeter through caps, in parralel. Sounds good, but i feel like i am pushing it a little :D
And class d more efficient even with voltage downconversion. And i like idea of regulated supply. TDA2050 had on/of thumps too, so i used relay... Another 15mA without use.

I decided to upgrade to 2x PAM8403 with active crossover. Powered by 5V switching regulator.
3 chanels driving russian speakers. And last chanel tweeters.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.