Source-switching with Tripath amps ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't had any issue with my Lepai, unplugging from one source and plugging into another.

Thanks SS.

Back on the HUGE Lepai-modding thread, I once asked about 'hot-swapping' sources, and someone said that it can break them.

I didn't ask whether this was by means of 3.5mm jack or RCA's, or either of them.

I thought maybe the mini-jack momentarily shorting +ve contacts to ground might be an issue.

Whatever, the switcher is definitely 'break-before-make', so more like disconnecting and reconnecting RCA's. I'll give it go, as I I'm using 3 different sources, and swapping the input leads to change between them is PITA.

Disconnecting the source, then reconnecting it with a switch won't blow up the amp.

The bad thing is that the switching action creates a butt ton of noise, so the noisy crap gets amplified and can not only be unpleasant but could damage your speakers.

Just a couple resistors to ground will fix that as I say. This is the same with any amplifier - not just Tripaths.

When I said some resistors in parallel with small value caps, I meant from the source-coupling capacitor junction to ground. Just some 10k or similar resistors should do fine.

Disconnecting the source, then reconnecting it with a switch won't blow up the amp.

The bad thing is that the switching action creates a butt ton of noise, so the noisy crap gets amplified and can not only be unpleasant but could damage your speakers.

Just a couple resistors to ground will fix that as I say. This is the same with any amplifier - not just Tripaths.

When I said some resistors in parallel with small value caps, I meant from the source-coupling capacitor junction to ground. Just some 10k or similar resistors should do fine.

Thanks - that's made it clear.

I'll lash-up the switch-box and see just how bad the noise is using it (I need to make up a particular configuration of Y-splitter stereo cable for the long term).

Is there a way this or something similar could be implemented in the box itself, rather than the amps? It's decently well made, but it's just a passive 3-gang, four-position switch, no electronics of any kind.

BTW, just out of interest, back to the the 3.5mm input jacks (often used in TA2020's); are there any circumstances where there would be a risk in hot-swapping while powered on?

I made a PDF of what I mean. You can implement this in the switch as shown.

No, it won't damage the amp by unplugging the input jack whilst it's connected up and turned on, but you'll get an unpleasant pop. You can implement the resistor and capacitor on the input of the actual board, too, which will prevent any popping.

Attachments

• termination.pdf
    6.7 KB · Views: 55
I made a PDF of what I mean. You can implement this in the switch as shown.

No, it won't damage the amp by unplugging the input jack whilst it's connected up and turned on, but you'll get an unpleasant pop. You can implement the resistor and capacitor on the input of the actual board, too, which will prevent any popping.

!!!!

Above and beyond the call!

Many thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.