TRIANGULAR or SAWTOOTH which is best for CLASS-D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi.

kuribo i was actually pointing to your own previous link , class-d. org , im sure you have seen his comments about icepower ;)

i cant be objective or unbiased here allthough i have heard several class-d amplifiers so i dont state my own opinion as you can see....

i just point out that claiming that a subwoofer amp with a bw of 1 khz sounds "great" has little or no value whatsoever.

this in combination with mutual "advertizing" statements is what i resent.

rgds karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk

Not sure if the classd.org comments are about the current or previous versions of ICEpower. I understand they have gone through several iterations.

Perhaps he was referring to its usage as a subwoofer amp when he said it sounds great. Your comment "others dont seem to share your high thoughts about their sound quality" struck me as a general put down on the ICEpower amp. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, but many people seem pleased with the Roland product; perhaps they aren't as bad as you "mis-advertise"?

I have read many of these class d threads, and have noticed you seem to be quite critical of other products, so I ask you again, please share with us your biased opinion on what class d product on the market IS decent? Or do you wish us to believe that there are no high fidelity class d amps on the market?

hi.

kuribo , the verdict on class-d.org isnt the only one not too enthusiastic about the icepower amps.

claiming an amplifier has great sound and maybe talking about its use as a subwoofer amp ..... well what can i say ;)

are you sure jeff rowland uses the 1000a in his amp?? (frankly i dont think so)

amp_man (asuming this is you name today) i would like to understand what you want to say or are trying to accomplish , but sorry i gave up some time ago......

best rgds karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk

So you believe the other ICEpower modules are capable of good sound?

I have listened to several variaties of Tripath, to Spectron, Sony, Sanyo, TACT, PS Audio, and Philips SODA. I have also heard a little class d amp made in Japan, but don't recall the name.

And your point is?

Hi Karsten,

You give a lot of nice comment on different Class-D amplifiers, but on your website www.cadaudio.dk I only see some standardboards from Tripath. Thereby you claim that you manufacture an own Class-D line, but I don't see them on our website. I only see 19" case with Class-D, but no datasheet, or inside photos. I guess this is also done with Tripath.

Can please explain? Or are the Class-D amps not ready yet?

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

hi.

i would like to know what amplifiers you have listened to if you wanted to disscuss the sound quality of different class-d amplifiers , no specific point besides that....

which one do you think is best if you have a favorite?

i have heard some of those you mention and a couple of others too , in my mind they have pros and cons meaning some are better for say lower freqs and others better for soundstage.

several people have expressed their views about class-d amplifiers here , some specific and some generally but often they hadnt really listened to any of them ;)

yes i think icepower modules can sound decent (i have some of them here) but i would not call them the best overall.

we made some listening tests here comparing them to tripath , our own discrete class-d amps and a very good class a/b amplifier and biased as it may be , the icepower was not the best or even second best ;)

the diffrent amplifers were better in some aspects than others but overall the 4 listeners agreed to the above.

amp_man stop pestering people!!

no but it think you have no idea of what you are talking about ;)

hi.

jan petter you seem to "forget" that we did actually talk about you buying oem amplifers from us some time ago and we were not talking about tripath amplifiers , were we?

ok we did not want to do business with you for several reasons , is this the background behind this kind of strange posting from you??

or are you just trying to miscredit a possible competitor?

i guess you havent looked very carefully , see;
http://cadaudio.dk/pwmaudio_en.htm

does it say tripath amps ?? no i dont think so.

>I guess this is also done with Tripath>

your guess is wrong ;)

you wanted to make your own class-d amp didnt you ? can i take a guess as to how it came out;)

ps. my hint the other day about your current range of amps and stability problems was based on a talk with your distributor here , so perhaps you should have a word with them......

Phase_Accurate,

You are right we should stay by the topic.

Answer to Karsten:
Indeed we had contact in the past about Class-D OEM amps, but you suddenly decided not to sending us some demoboard anymore. Because of conflicting interest. At the moment we have get a licence from Philips to use their UcD Class-D technology, so there is now no interest for other OEM Class-D anymore. What I have seen on Class-D the Philips UcD is really one of the most simple concept and performing VERY well.

Probably we can start a new topic about different Class-D manufactures ;-)

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Triangle form is best, i think so :)

Hi.
Jan-Peter,
what you'll say about sound UcD vs good AB, difference is really very audible? I'm still remember classd.org people impression, and if it is no biased at 50% then UcD just a bomb. Whether you plan to replace(maybe already, then what advance it gives?) not audiophile passive elements? (ceramic to polyester).

KM-

So, again, which commercially available class d amps do you think are good?

Perhaps you think yours is best. That would be natural. But I think it is best to limit our discussion to products that are commercially available, or at least have been heard by others, and have published information available.

Personally, I liked the Philips SODA. I am very much looking forward to the release of the UcD modules from Hypex. If they sound anything like the SODA, I will be very pleased.

I liked the Spectron too. Seems I prefer the amps with feedback post output filter. I didn't much care for the Tripath and the other pre-filter feedback amps. Maybe they can be made to sound excellent, but I think the post filter feedback scheme is technically superior.

So, which commercially available amps do you think sound good?

I liked the Spectron too. Seems I prefer the amps with feedback post output filter. I didn't much care for the Tripath and the other pre-filter feedback amps. Maybe they can be made to sound excellent, but I think the post filter feedback scheme is technically superior.

I don't know why they don't take feedback from the filter, since this can be done with almost any topology (Tripath even have a patent on that !!!!!). But as I already mentioned: while I like the feedback taken from the filter, taking it from the switching stage also has it's merits.

Regards

Charles

Commentable Thoughts

Jan-Peter said:
Answer to Karsten:
Indeed we had contact in the past about Class-D OEM amps, but you suddenly decided not to sending us some demoboard anymore. Because of conflicting interest. At the moment we have get a licence from Philips to use their UcD Class-D technology, so there is now no interest for other OEM Class-D anymore. What I have seen on Class-D the Philips UcD is really one of the most simple concept and performing VERY well.

Probably we can start a new topic about different Class-D manufactures ;-)

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Hello Mr JAN PETER
GLAD TO SEE U IN MY THREAD!
I have also visited ur Website which in Comparision to KM,s is very illustrative and to the technical point.
KM was just thinking that I was pestering the people[This is not my kind of act] .
But Sir, from viewing ur comment I think u r Rite Fellow For Discussion.
A little intro about my self.
SIR I am from India and I have Technical expertise in field of Linear Amps of about 6 Years in Professional Audio., but the technology is changing very rapidly So I decided about the project on Class-D amps.
So can u PLZ tell me What is Better and why?
Triangular or Sawtooth

With Sincere Regards
Ampman

IVX,

We have made a demo amp with an UcD and our discrete analog amplifier. The gain of this two amps are put exaclty the same, so there is no gain difference. Our analog amp is used in a high class studio monitor, where we switched from a TDA7293 IC-amp to this discrete analog amplifier. Some customers didn't know we switched to a new type of amplifier, but they came with the following comment: What did you changed, the sound is much better now.

So the amp do sound very well.

The difference in sound with the UcD and the discrete analog amplifier is that the UcD sounds more open and has a higher definition. So our discrete analog amplifier do sound very good, but the UcD is even better.

Within one or two months we will come with UcD kit amplifiers just like the (very nice build!) ICEpower modules.

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.