TRIANGULAR or SAWTOOTH which is best for CLASS-D - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2004, 01:15 PM   #21
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

kuribo i was actually pointing to your own previous link , class-d. org , im sure you have seen his comments about icepower

i cant be objective or unbiased here allthough i have heard several class-d amplifiers so i dont state my own opinion as you can see....

i just point out that claiming that a subwoofer amp with a bw of 1 khz sounds "great" has little or no value whatsoever.

this in combination with mutual "advertizing" statements is what i resent.

rgds karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk
Old 29th January 2004, 01:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Not sure if the classd.org comments are about the current or previous versions of ICEpower. I understand they have gone through several iterations.

Perhaps he was referring to its usage as a subwoofer amp when he said it sounds great. Your comment "others dont seem to share your high thoughts about their sound quality" struck me as a general put down on the ICEpower amp. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, but many people seem pleased with the Roland product; perhaps they aren't as bad as you "mis-advertise"?

I have read many of these class d threads, and have noticed you seem to be quite critical of other products, so I ask you again, please share with us your biased opinion on what class d product on the market IS decent? Or do you wish us to believe that there are no high fidelity class d amps on the market?
Old 29th January 2004, 02:59 PM   #23
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

kuribo , the verdict on class-d.org isnt the only one not too enthusiastic about the icepower amps.

claiming an amplifier has great sound and maybe talking about its use as a subwoofer amp ..... well what can i say

are you sure jeff rowland uses the 1000a in his amp?? (frankly i dont think so)

amp_man (asuming this is you name today) i would like to understand what you want to say or are trying to accomplish , but sorry i gave up some time ago......

best rgds karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk
Old 29th January 2004, 03:03 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure which ICEpower module Rowland is using; my point was he is in fact using one or more of them, and his product has received raves from many. It would seem that at least some of the ICEpower modules is responsible for some high quality sound.
Old 29th January 2004, 03:06 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Arrow Commentable Thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by km

amp_man (asuming this is you name today) i would like to understand what you want to say or are trying to accomplish , but sorry i gave up some time ago......

best rgds karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk
HI KM
I only want to say that which is better :
A Sawtooth or Triangular and Ofcourse WHY?

Regards
Ampman
Old 29th January 2004, 03:07 PM   #26
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

yes but this is not what mr. fraser wrote and what i commented on, hope you can see the difference....

you seem a bit eager to discuss the sound of different class-d amplifiers , did you hear the jeff rowland amp?

what other class-d amps did you hear?

Old 30th January 2004, 12:09 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

So you believe the other ICEpower modules are capable of good sound?

I have listened to several variaties of Tripath, to Spectron, Sony, Sanyo, TACT, PS Audio, and Philips SODA. I have also heard a little class d amp made in Japan, but don't recall the name.

And your point is?
Old 30th January 2004, 01:41 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Arrow Commentable Thoughts

So , Mr Madsen U think that ICEpower amps are far better than the amplifiers fabricated by u .

Regards
Ampman
Old 30th January 2004, 08:15 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi Karsten,

You give a lot of nice comment on different Class-D amplifiers, but on your website www.cadaudio.dk I only see some standardboards from Tripath. Thereby you claim that you manufacture an own Class-D line, but I don't see them on our website. I only see 19" case with Class-D, but no datasheet, or inside photos. I guess this is also done with Tripath.

Can please explain? Or are the Class-D amps not ready yet?

Regards,

Jan-Peter

www.hypex.nl
Old 30th January 2004, 08:21 AM   #30
km is offline km
diyAudio Member

hi.

i would like to know what amplifiers you have listened to if you wanted to disscuss the sound quality of different class-d amplifiers , no specific point besides that....

which one do you think is best if you have a favorite?

i have heard some of those you mention and a couple of others too , in my mind they have pros and cons meaning some are better for say lower freqs and others better for soundstage.

several people have expressed their views about class-d amplifiers here , some specific and some generally but often they hadnt really listened to any of them

yes i think icepower modules can sound decent (i have some of them here) but i would not call them the best overall.

we made some listening tests here comparing them to tripath , our own discrete class-d amps and a very good class a/b amplifier and biased as it may be , the icepower was not the best or even second best

the diffrent amplifers were better in some aspects than others but overall the 4 listeners agreed to the above.

amp_man stop pestering people!!

no but it think you have no idea of what you are talking about

Hide this!Advertise here!