req help in building TPA3116 amp pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Could you please help in building a TPA3116 amp?

I am thinking to build the PCB at home by etching the circuit on a copper clad. When looking at the TI evaluation board document they have used a double side PCB.
1. can we build it on a single side PCB with the same performance? If yes, does any one have its PCB layout?
2. if we need to have a double side PCB only, then can we build it with good quality at home or do we need to look for pre build boards?

My final goal is good performing amp and if its possible to get that quality with home build, would prefer to do that ... But only worried about double side pcb layout and smd shouldering ... I have build small simple circuit on single side pcb in past .. Also in forms and docs there is some imphassis on the pcb layout for class d amps in general that layout design should be good else emi problem and noise would be there and performance may not be good etc etc ..

thanks and regards
S Sarath

Yes, this is definitely possible. You will want to use double-sided copper clad, and leave one side alone to use as a ground plane. Then drill holes and put pins through, and solder them in place.

With etching it can be a problem, 0.5mm TSSOP packages aren't ideal for boards with no soldermask. But if you have a good etching procedure that you're familiar with, you should be OK. Maybe get some cheap (samples?) TSSOP devices and practice a few times before the final board if you're unsure.

If you want my advice, keep all the power paths as short as you possibly can. Any class D design will benefit from a small, carefully laid out board with tight return paths.

Hi Sheldon,

Thanks for the reply.
i have seen another thread of your regarding the build of another class d amp nice and tiny.
Have u build/etched the pcb yourself at home or got it done by some expert or proffessional? Did u used any software to design the PCB?
I my earlier (many years ago) pcb (single side) build i have manually drawn the circuit on the copper clad using a permanent marker by looking at the circuit diagram and etched it by putting it in ferric chloride (i think so) solution. Then drilled the holes and soldered the components.
Can i follow the same process with Class D amp or do i need to do it differently?

thanks and regards
S Sarath

I got them made for me. I use Itead: PCB prototyping

They are incredibly cheap. The are also very fast. They are quicker than any local company I've used, at about a tenth of the price.

You can etch them yourself, however for best performance you'd want dual layer with a ground plane (as I mentioned above). For class D amps, you have to be fairly careful with the layout. They are high power switching circuits, so a small, tight layout with all the components close together is absolutely necessary.

As I said before, you could etch your tracks on one side, then use the other side as a ground plane. But to be honest, given how cheap Chinese companies are now, you can get 10 dual layer boards with solder mask and silk screen (good quality too) for less than the price of the copper clad and etching chemicals.

You'd need to have PCB design software realistically. Something this small would be very impractical to draw out by hand. Personally I use ARES, although I recommend you download KiCAD. It's free and there are loads of guides on how to use it.

How is the sound and build quality of the your boards compare with the pre build boards ? Also how do there class d boards compare with lm3668 amp?Is there any cost and quality advantage for our own build board amps?

I don't know as I don't have any of the ebay boards. But people who bought them said they are better than some of the ebay boards. I did buy a Danz blue/black board to compare it with, but the guy on ebay never dispatched it etc...

A good TPA3116 amp will out-perform a standard LM3886, IMO. It isn't quite as good as my composite LM3886 amp, but the difference is so minimal that I have been using my small ones as my main amp instead of the LM3886 amp for my PC sound. I still use the LM3886 amp for my main listening setup, as it has USB input etc...

There is definitely a quality advantage for building your own boards. As for cost, by the time you've spent money replacing caps and modding an ebay board, you'll have spent more than building it correctly in the first place. As I've said, the PCBs are so cheap there's no reason not to get them made.

If you want any help with a PCB layout, let me know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.