Hypex Ncore vs B&O ASC vs TPA3116

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The question was whether any information was available which be informative for those of interested in class D amplifier design. I wasn't expecting the answer would be yes but thanks for confirming it's no.
I thought it was useful for people to know that some prefer anaview to ncore. and you could see some very convincing testaments of people going from hypex to anaview and mention its a very noticeable upgrade.

But they likely use bad speakers and therefore want a bad amp because a good amp like ncore would show too much the flaw of the speaker. makes total sense. if hypex gets bettered, its because of dishonest people using bad speakers so compensate with a obvious unrefined design like the anaview AMS to compensate for their bad speakers!!!!!

You will have to do the research yourself. but I doubt your interested. more like you want to defend a view point.

Last edited:
The comments I read from your link said simply that he preferred the combination of the anaview amp with his speakers, not that he preferred the anaview itself in general to ncore. There's a big difference.
I never said otherwise for audiovisjion. indeed, his conclusion is only with the amphion one18 and the anaview amp in combination.
I know speaker synergy is a big thing, but I think its quite helpful to know his experience nontheless.

But you can find on audiogon people also comparing hypex to anaview. thats why I got so interested about anaview and took their amp seriously.

So you now have an anaview. Did you have a hypex amp before that? Did you compare the two yourself?
I dont have the anaview amp and never heard hypex. I do use class d though and plan on trying the tda miniref amp. then, I will likely get the amphion amp with ams anaview modules within a year to compare with my amps. if they better everything I will have had this point, ill buy them and call it a decade :)

I have found someone comparing art0 class d modules (which im using right now: the art0 module have beenten every amp I have ever compared it to) with the acl anaview module:

but would now like to describe my aural impressions of the Abletec ALC0300. I did have some bad luck .. and get the modules rather late. Nevertheless, my sincere thanks to Patrick for all the effort and reliable carrying !!!
The already could shake the first few bars from the official housing at reception evening was well understood ... but the anticipation is one of the most beautiful feelings.

Evening like my Reference 3A Studio M3 (92 dB) and the Linn preamp connected and ... it came out ... oh wonder also tones ... phew ... so at least everything right. The following 3 days went by Monos and were complemented by the 2 small ALC 100. A Center for the bridge mode and one for the small rear speakers. As far ... so good. What struck me at the ALC 100 ... low noise. The ALC 300 are totally quiet ... the ALC 100 rushing softly to himself. It does not sit too much ... just barely bearable ... and from 1.5m distance no longer very disturbing.

Previously I had used the kit from Art0.de. Which has built the Tripath 2021b and to max. 14 Watt afford ... what I have, however, never been used. My speakers have an ingenious concept from legendary developer Daniel Dehay. Is dispensed (in most of his Kostruktionen) virtually at a crossover. The result is a very fast, musical, time-accurate speaker with very high Abbildungsfähigleit. In addition, they are satisfied with a few watts. I have operated with single-ended tubes of power class 1-8Watt many years ... I could never have noticed that deficits in dynamics and depth despite the low performance. On div. Parties to 250 man ... I could also make their abnormal level stability proof ... and every time! Music material ... with a handful of watts. To make it short ...
bye.gif
To speakers that are designed like mine ... you will definitely with the Abletec ALC 0300 not happy.

Since it depends on the first and not to the 300th watts. When I read the first sound description of Oliver ... where he had written of a "hardship" ... was the day before I had received the package. Hardness?!?! ... But I know my various Ref. 3A too good ... hardness that is there really a problem. Therefore, I had immediately demanded again ... and Oliver had improved somewhat. Shortly before the response I had to build almost no desire, they still aufz ... because of the long anticipation I got it but then made ...

Oliver has understated. What the Abletec have then delivered to my LS was hard ... very hard ... even after 4 days of continuous operation ... as my hi-mate came to visit an ear to finally throw in the amplifier ... was the high frequency range very tiring. The low season averaging does not exist - the amplifier reproduces a depth Stamp level. The room is quite large .. untenrum missing trotzdemein some punch. What bothered me the most .. the cold is the final stage. No melting ... not magic - just cold, lifeless.

What has struck with the only positive ... the higher the volume .. the better it is. If it were not for this over-present treble would be ...
On my speakers lacked a scary part of the fine dynamics. In some shots we have seen in comparison to Art0 that all details are overrun. In my chain they just did not sound - she presented herself as a foreign body. Fine drawing, coarse -and fine dynamics, body, melting and depth without end ... all that was back when I had joined the little droll Art0. This I burdened by low volume on battery only with an input power of 1.2W .. Room increased volume 2W ... from 4W rang the neighbors by Whattsapp by ... whether it was party again ... and why I'd not invited .. . at 8W would surely the police come ...
My conclusion: For Speakers - like mine is the ALC0300 inappropriate. A cross check with ner small Canton showed that this can live with the final stage ... and great aufspielte. The effect described above I could not find there. At the Canton I can not connect the Art0 as this then acts quite stressed at elevated low volume.
So ... all a matter of the chain. A cure is not Abletec.
Although my buddy said ... like the Art0 airs ... I could but reach the end of the search ... but who wants that because even ...
tongue2.gif

Who after describing another tip for those cold winter days ... has the play instinct is still there. I would like to try the AMS 1000 ... maybe there is a near here ...
It will be exciting ...

Many greetings

I think I wont get the ams modules from anaview finally.

Don't you people read any hifi magazines - and draw some conclusions? The main question with D-class is: does it's frequency responce has a rise in high frequencies or not? Tripath is very bad in this regard, but not the only one. Is it really worth to compare an amp with about-stright response with real speakres to one that has a 10 - 15 dB rise at 20 kHz?
This site has a problem with measurebators, but frequency response is one real measurement, isn't it?

I have tried Abletec ALC0300, I have ALCO1000 in my system, I have both UcD400HG with HxR and Ncore.
And shortly I'll buy the new AMS1000 and AMS0100.

ALCO300 sounded to me excatly the same as B&O 125ASX2, which isn't surprising since Patrick has developed both. I liked them but they aren't transparent sounding. They have a tube like sound in the highs, which is very forgiving and makes everything sounds smooth. I also experienced, at least with the B&O 125ASX2, that is was somewhat lean somewhere in the LF. Not sure why.

I use the ALCO1000 for bass and for that they work great. When comparing to Ncore I can't hear a difference there. However, using ALCO1000 fullrange they can't compete to Ncore in any way. There's clearly audible distortion and Ncore sounds way cleaner and more transparent. I also went from ALCO1000 to Ncore for a midrange/midbass that was crossed over at 500 Hz (JBL 2226). I was a bit surprised to find that also for this frequency area the Ncore sounded cleaner and better. Obviously the difference was smaller here but still quite audible.

Looking forward to try AMS0100 with some high efficient horns and compare it to Ncore. But till this day Ncore is the most inaudible amp I've ever tried followed by UcD400HG with HxR. In a good system and room, I find transparent electronics to be the best with most music material. But it can depend on my mood and type of music. EQ works well though to alter to tonality.

Don't you people read any hifi magazines - and draw some conclusions? The main question with D-class is: does it's frequency responce has a rise in high frequencies or not? Tripath is very bad in this regard, but not the only one. Is it really worth to compare an amp with about-stright response with real speakres to one that has a 10 - 15 dB rise at 20 kHz?
This site has a problem with measurebators, but frequency response is one real measurement, isn't it?

YES I do. Even better I perform speaker impedance and frequency response measurements. Speakers are very different in their impedance behaviour and therefore the combination with amp shall always be listened.

Where class-D amps are sensitive for impedance change in the highs only, tube amps (especiallly SE) are sensitive for impedance change all over the bandwith.

Which declaires the often auditioned increased mid band for tube amps. What is not a specific tube sound aspect itself, but caused by the increased impedance at about 2-3 kHz because of the mid/high filter. The amp just delivers more voltage at higher impedance what results in louder sound. Fine speakers for tube amps have a flat impedance all over the bandwith. Such as wide band speakers.

Impedance changes can be compensated mostly always. If your class D is sensitive for higher impedance at high frequencies this can be compensated easily.

Where class-D amps are sensitive for impedance change in the highs only

And only class D amps that don't include the output choke in the feedback loop.

tube amps (especiallly SE) are sensitive for impedance change all over the bandwith.

Which declaires the often auditioned increased mid band for tube amps. What is not a specific tube sound aspect itself, but caused by the increased impedance at about 2-3 kHz because of the mid/high filter.
Indeed.

I have tried Abletec ALC0300, I have ALCO1000 in my system, I have both UcD400HG with HxR and Ncore.
And shortly I'll buy the new AMS1000 and AMS0100.

ALCO300 sounded to me excatly the same as B&O 125ASX2, which isn't surprising since Patrick has developed both. I liked them but they aren't transparent sounding. They have a tube like sound in the highs, which is very forgiving and makes everything sounds smooth. I also experienced, at least with the B&O 125ASX2, that is was somewhat lean somewhere in the LF. Not sure why.

I use the ALCO1000 for bass and for that they work great. When comparing to Ncore I can't hear a difference there. However, using ALCO1000 fullrange they can't compete to Ncore in any way. There's clearly audible distortion and Ncore sounds way cleaner and more transparent. I also went from ALCO1000 to Ncore for a midrange/midbass that was crossed over at 500 Hz (JBL 2226). I was a bit surprised to find that also for this frequency area the Ncore sounded cleaner and better. Obviously the difference was smaller here but still quite audible.

Looking forward to try AMS0100 with some high efficient horns and compare it to Ncore. But till this day Ncore is the most inaudible amp I've ever tried followed by UcD400HG with HxR. In a good system and room, I find transparent electronics to be the best with most music material. But it can depend on my mood and type of music. EQ works well though to alter to tonality.
hi
thanks a lot for this comparison. and please report once you use the ams.

but I give up and im getting john brown ec designs circlotron!

Hi.
I have to say i like VERY much anaview mono ALC0300-1300 boards.
I built a dual mono and it's a spectacular amplifier.
Never heard hypex nor ncore, nor tpa3116.
For a budget oriented good sounding amplifier i'm inclined to try tpa3116.
My ask is: is it somehow comparable in sq with anaview?
Or there is a night/day difference?

EDIT: rapidly compared with Jeff rowland 9000€ dual mono 1000w (asp1000 if i'm not wrong) and AR10pi i think anaview' price is excellent.
Compared with a fully mod ta2024 there are huge differences in sq.

Last edited:
Test modules class-dmodule.com

Customer test says it all!

Quote "Nach kleineren Kabelmodifikationen (bessere Schirmung) und einer beträchtlichen Einspielzeit hat der Hulk klanglich zu den Anaview Modulen aufgeschlossen. Die Härte im Sound ist so gut wie komplett weg. Wir haben den Hulk in einer Hörsession der Wiener DIY Community ausgiebig getestet. Seine Spielpartner waren: Duetta, Big Needle und Little Princess und an allen Lautsprechern konnte er voll überzeugen. Die Lässigkeit und Selbstverständlichkeit mit der der Hulk zu Werke geht ist wirklich beeindruckend!" Source

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.