Urgent help needed, messed up position of dual diodes on 41Hz amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2014, 11:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Urgent help needed, messed up position of dual diodes on 41Hz amp

Project working on: 41Hz AMP-15PS-XP
Hi all, I don't know if anyone can help here but I took my eye off the ball for a second and soldered these components: Diode U-fast Ser 2x8A 200V TO-220
where I should have soldered some power mosfets. They looked identical save the inscription on the underside.
I have the mosfets, but the dual diode TO-220 (two off) I'm going to have to cut off the board as they're near impossible to desolder especially as they're so near other components and have three legs.
I have a friend in the electronics industry who looked them up only to tell me that the original part is now obsolete, but there is an alternative and ONLY this one will be OK.
FEP16DTD.
Can anyone help?
41Hz's site was hacked and now completely gone. So I'm faced with trying to attach them in their proper place but I'll have to extend the tails, and I don't know if they've got damaged with all the effort trying to remove them.
Please help if you can.
Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 10:19 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Three legs should be easy to remove. I use a solder sucker; other people prefer to use a wick. Part of learning how to solder is learning how to de-solder. The trick is to apply just enough heat to soften the solder but not enough to cook the component. Do some practice on something unimportant first.
Old 5th November 2014, 11:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Three legs should be easy to remove. I use a solder sucker; other people prefer to use a wick. Part of learning how to solder is learning how to de-solder. The trick is to apply just enough heat to soften the solder but not enough to cook the component. Do some practice on something unimportant first.
Use plenty of flux, it helps to clean the joints.
Old 6th November 2014, 04:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your help guys, I have in fact soldered hundreds of components and desoldered many, but I had extra trouble with these due to the proximity to other components and the fact that they had three legs, in the end I took it to an electronics guy who has a braid that worked (mine just seemed to float on top of the solder).
When in doubt get a professional!
Old 6th November 2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
... Or don't cheap out on tools / use quality ones
Old 6th November 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You're right, but what you don't know is that I'm a tradesman so ONLY buy quality tools.
The technique is another matter.
Old Russian saying: I'm not rich enough to buy cheap
Old 6th November 2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Indeed, it's (also) how you use it

I'm not sure that quote is of Russian origin, but i was / am very familiar with it, and it's been among my principles for quite some time now. On a related note, "if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right", eh?

Hide this!Advertise here!