Mini digital board amp inside a sealed enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Second. DDFA claims the feedback to be digital

DDFA® - Direct Digital Feedback Amplifier Technology

Claiming it and it being so are different things. If the output is analog as we can safely assume it is then any feedback whether or not it is ADC'ed and thereby technically digital after that still is topologically identical to an amplifier with an ADC as the front end before an analog modulator.

I didn't respond to the original question because it was already answered. Just wanted to point out that TPA3116 is not a digital amplifier.

Yes, it is a hopeless battle, but just because a lot of people are wrong doesn't make it right...

I know. back in the old days I did the same. I must admit that I only think of digital amplifier as being amplifiers with the PWM signal made by PCM to PWM conversion. Open loop was the only thing back then, but Saturnus is offcourse correct that closed loop means analog feedback before the digital feedback processor, and then some of the "digital" is gone.

To me the PWM output stage is always analogue. Since I dont use analogue inputs, I just prefer digital PCM to PWM over analogue to PWM conversion.

A good ADC is expensive, but the extra requirements in PSU for open loop amplification is also expensive.

I think you will be very busy then. There are a lot of digital amplifier threads out there:D

Don't really care. There's very very few actual digital amplifiers, TACT Millennium for example. And then there's a lot of analog amplifiers with digital front ends.

Digital amplifiers carriers no inherent advantages (but a lot of disadvantages) though so it should not be a design goal in itself.

Bruno Putzey describes it better and in more words than I care to here. The Truth About Digital (Class D) Amplifiers | Audioholics

Basically that paper just shows that closed loop is better than open loop. :)

No you can't say that, unless you just look at numbers.

quote from the paper

"Before discussing how to
address the deficiencies of the
PSRR measurement, let’s first
talk about feedback. If you have
had your coffee and are following
along with this argument, it
should come as no surprise that
Class D amplifiers inherently have
problems with supply noise. This
would be a major problem if not
for feedback. (In high-end audio
applications, open-loop amplifiers
sound great, but that is a different
story. They typically have very
stable, high-performing supplies
and much higher cost targets.)"

Basically that paper just shows that closed loop is better than open loop. :)

Unless you design a power supply with no, or extremely low ripple. It's a case of the different engineering parts of TI not working together because if they had looked into their own portfolio they would have realized that what causes the problem in the first places, supply ripple, can be virtually eliminated with modern multiphase interleaved power converter technologies also available from TI, and at vanishingly low design cost as well.

I already pointed it out to them a long time ago when the chip first appeared along with some of the more serious errors which have thankfully been revised since. I doubt that my contribution had much effect as there were lots of people pointing out the same errors.

Well then if that is the case, instead of droning on for days, why didn't you just say so in the first place? Third time is a charm, I guess.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.