Seamless charging and use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2014, 02:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Seamless charging and use

Hello,

I have a TPA3116 amp which I am planning on using for a portable speaker design. I am technically minded but more mechnical then elec so this will be a very newb question. I have searched the forum but if there is a post which explains this please point me towards it!

Power wise I would like to be able to run off batteries, and then plug in a 12v supply to charge and also play if required simultaneously.

Basically I was planning to split a 12v supply to amp and balance charger linked to a Lipo. Then using a switched DC input socket when unplugged the battery NEG would link to the amp. But I think I would need a diode in the POS battery line to prevent 12v straight to the battery when plugged in.

Does this diagram get anywhere near something which would work?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd October 2014, 03:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi
There are many precautions necessary for particularly charging LIPO batteries, you need to observe the recommended current and voltage and duration of charge. As the battery is ON continuously a diode placed between the charger and the battery stops current from the battery interfering back to the charger circuit.

A series diode after the battery prior to the amplifier assists if there is error with polarity and should be considered if there is possibility of reversal, there are two methods, The first as a series arranged diode will drop voltage to approx 11.4v if the voltage is 12v, but will protect if voltage is reversed at the battery. A diode however with its anode from ground and its cathode to the voltage supply will assist the possibility of ground and positive being reversed without voltage loss, such a diode should have sufficient current ability.

During charge the battery voltage may rise observe carefully all the precautions provided with the battery instructions. With respect to your diagram your voltage to charge any such battery has to be higher than 12v typically 13.8v, The red line you show from the voltage source to the amplifier is unnecessary, as the battery itself is delivering voltage and current, and the charger is maintaining the battery from the supply.

Cheers / Chris
Old 6th October 2014, 11:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ok, maybe I have over-complicated this. Could the turnigy charger (Turnigy 12v 2-3S Basic Balance Charger) and amp simply be connected in parallel to the lipo battery (Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack)? Would I be able to have the charger plugged in and use the amp at the same time?

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!