Modifying PC power supplies?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have information on how you could modify a pc power supply to change the voltage levels?
I have a few around so if modifying them is possible then they could make good cheap supplies!

Hello Optical,

I find an ease circuit to modify and change the voltage an current to at:
https://sites.google.com/site/telepicdata/
Perhaps it could help you.

I believe that the 0V line from the supply is usually earthed; however I see no reason why it has to be, and if the ground can be "lifted" then it should be simple to connect several units in series.
Granted, you need rather a lot of them to develop any useful voltage, but they are readily available. You've also got an automatically available "0V" centre point, and as many intermediate taps as you want - ideal for multi-level (do they call it class H?) amplifiers.
A note on the above article - it does say "not an ATX type". You might be hard pressed these days to find an AT style PSU (the kind with a "real" power switch in the mains line).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.