How hot is your Hypex PSC2.400 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2014, 09:37 PM   #1
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default How hot is your Hypex PSC2.400

My Hypex PSC2.400 plates run very hot. So hit to the touch that I can't keep my hand om them for a longer period. Is this correct/normal?

//
Old 4th October 2014, 03:34 PM   #2
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Mine runs as hot, I asked Hypex and apparently it is not a problem but it was for me: I want to camoflage my subs into fotstools but I don't feel comfortable covering a 70-80 degree steel plate under all that fabric and stuffing. So in the end I took out the plate amps and bought dedicated aluminum enclosures to bring the heat down and let me place them elsewhere with better airflow.

My other idea was to mount a heat sink on the plate itself, which is OK to do and will not void the warranty as long as they can still access all the screws and service it in case of fault (I asked them about this too )
Old 10th December 2014, 10:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It is interesting to hear this because i also had the same concern about a 4 x UCD400 amplifier which i thought runs too hot. Comparing to the PSC2.400 which contains 2 x UCD400 on a 330 mm x 142 mm x 2.5mm thick aluminium plate, i have at least double this surface area of aluminium on my case.

If Hypex feels the PSC2.400 is adequately designed thermally for 2 UCD400 modules i guess we can conclude the modules are actually quite happy to run rather hotter than most would want or expect.
Old 10th December 2014, 10:31 PM   #4
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwireless View Post
It is interesting to hear this because i also had the same concern about a 4 x UCD400 amplifier which i thought runs too hot. Comparing to the PSC2.400 which contains 2 x UCD400 on a 330 mm x 142 mm x 2.5mm thick aluminium plate, i have at least double this surface area of aluminium on my case.

If Hypex feels the PSC2.400 is adequately designed thermally for 2 UCD400 modules i guess we can conclude the modules are actually quite happy to run rather hotter than most would want or expect.
The modules are likely fine with it yeah, keep in the mind that the PSC2.400 has a built in limiter if it gets too hot which I don't think vanilla UCD400s have.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of maybe replicating that thermal protection using a thermal switch above 90C (with reset at 65C) and temperature controlled fan above 70C.

Knowing that the 2.400 runs hot makes me think i shouldn't be too concerned beyond this.
Old 30th May 2015, 07:22 AM   #6
holco is offline holco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I just ordered a SMPS1200A400 Power Supply to replace the standard SMPS400 Power Supply of my PSC2.400, the output power will be doubled to 800W and hopefully it will run less hot, only thing is I will have to find a place inside the sub itself because it wil not fit on the plate-amp itself.
Old 1st July 2015, 01:58 PM   #7
4AC is offline 4AC  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 4AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by holco View Post
I just ordered a SMPS1200A400 Power Supply to replace the standard SMPS400 Power Supply of my PSC2.400, the output power will be doubled to 800W and hopefully it will run less hot, only thing is I will have to find a place inside the sub itself because it wil not fit on the plate-amp itself.
Very curious how this turned out, please tell us more
Old 1st July 2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Cresnet is offline Cresnet  Germany
diyAudio Member

Very low DT to get the best sound from basic class-D amplifier, makes the module to heat like hell.

A well designed class-D shouldnt heat that much, I think 30C ~ 40C in idle is just normal
Old 11th July 2015, 11:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I finally got the time to change the standard SMPS400A400 power supply from the PSC2.400 for the SMPS1200A400 to double the output to 800W in bridge mode

Photo build,

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th July 2015, 11:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

After playing around this morning with REW and the DSP from the PSC2.400.

The results of the sub in combination with my Magnepan .7 speakers, all measurements are in stereo with the Umik-1 microphone placed on the sweet spot.

Hide this!Advertise here!