K4700 protection board and class d

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I have a problem with the 4700 protection and a ta2022 tripath based amp regarding the speaker ground.
I have tested the protection board and it seems all fine but when i connect the 4700 ground to the amp speaker ground only one channel works,
if i skip the protection board the amp works fine. Anyone knows why it behaves like that?

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi

I don't think the K4700 is suitable for class D amps .. only normal analogue amplifiers.

Look at the silicon chip magazine class d amp (classic d) their protection system works in a different way (using opto isolators) I think its to do with the high frequency dc off set that causes the k4700 to trip

all the best

Nick

Last edited:
Well the problem isn't that the k4700 is tripping, its not.
It just doesn't let the other channel trough to the speakers/speaker (left speaker) when i connect the ground from k4700 together with speaker ground.
What if i just connect the k4700 ground to chassis gnd instead of amp spk gnd?

Last edited:
I started a thread a while back concerning the Velleman K4700 and my TA2020. To be short the answer was that I needed two K4700 unit because the amp is bridged. I did not had the time to try it but I think the solution is a good one.

theAnonymous1 posted the PDF which led me to this solution...

Ok
Thank you for all the info guys.
The thing is that the amp is actually driving the tweeters in a couple of diy speakers with a n active crossover so that's why i tried to use this protection board in case of dc failure or some other nasty fault that would destroy my precious tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.