TA2020 MKIII Helder amp: increase gain how? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2014, 09:41 AM   #1
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TA2020 MKIII Helder amp: increase gain how?

Seems Helder's store is closed???

I have this nice amp working but the gain is too low for connection with my PC (fine with desktop CD player). I like to increase the gain, so I can play louder in my small room, my speaker is 8Ohms 85db. Which part do I need to replace to what value?

What does DC gain adjustment do? (is this to increase gain?)

Sorry for the novice questions.
Attached Images
File Type: png mkIII.png (347.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 7th September 2014, 01:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Fiddling with the feedback in the amplifier will upset the working of it. Use a TL072 as a pre amp set with a gain of whatever you require.
Old 7th September 2014, 01:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
Fiddling with the feedback in the amplifier will upset the working of it. Use a TL072 as a pre amp set with a gain of whatever you require.
I am a novice with barely a soldering skill and this is likely not an option, thanks for your input.
Old 8th September 2014, 05:08 PM   #4
t-head is offline t-head  United States
diyAudio Member

gychang,

how are you connecting your pc to the amp?
Old 8th September 2014, 06:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post
gychang,

how are you connecting your pc to the amp?
analog audio output from motherboard to amp using 3.5mm cable.
Old 8th September 2014, 06:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You may be able to increase output of the pc. I am using Linux so cannot remember how to do that in windows. It is also possible to use an external DAC with full 2v output. I am using hifimediy 24/96 Sabre DAC dongle that outputs 2.2v. This will improve the output of the Helder 2020. It is probably possible to change resistors to increase output of 2020, but other problems could result ie. the least of them being to ruin the PCB traces, etc. I am using an amp board using the MAXIM 9744 chip that outputs 12-14 good watts into an 8 ohm load from a 12 volt supply (battery) and is supplied with output of the forementioned DAC dongle. My speakers are 8 ohm, 90 dB and I get all the volume I need. I noticed you have an old 2050 board from hifimediy. They may be able to help you with that if you contact them at HiFimeDIY Store. Ask at the forum or just use contact form...

Last edited by t-head; 8th September 2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old 8th September 2014, 06:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Increase feedback resistor or decrease input resistor
Old 8th September 2014, 10:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Yes, increase the volume output from your 3.5mm jack by checking the virtual mixer settings
Old 8th September 2014, 11:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-head View Post
You may be able to increase output of the pc. I am using Linux so cannot remember how to do that in windows. It is also possible to use an external DAC with full 2v output. I am using hifimediy 24/96 Sabre DAC dongle that outputs 2.2v. This will improve the output of the Helder 2020. It is probably possible to change resistors to increase output of 2020, but other problems could result ie. the least of them being to ruin the PCB traces, etc. I am using an amp board using the MAXIM 9744 chip that outputs 12-14 good watts into an 8 ohm load from a 12 volt supply (battery) and is supplied with output of the forementioned DAC dongle. My speakers are 8 ohm, 90 dB and I get all the volume I need. I noticed you have an old 2050 board from hifimediy. They may be able to help you with that if you contact them at HiFimeDIY Store. Ask at the forum or just use contact form...
I use mainly manjaro linux, no windows, I do have a DAC somewhere and will try it to see if the volume increases. thanks for the input.
Old 9th September 2014, 03:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If using Linux, check your sound settings. You can increase the output of either your onboard sound card or external DAC. Too much increase can cause distortion, so be aware. Good Luck...

Hide this!Advertise here!