TA2020 MKIII Helder amp: increase gain how?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems Helder's store is closed???

I have this nice amp working but the gain is too low for connection with my PC (fine with desktop CD player). I like to increase the gain, so I can play louder in my small room, my speaker is 8Ohms 85db. Which part do I need to replace to what value?

What does DC gain adjustment do? (is this to increase gain?)

Sorry for the novice questions.

Attachments

• mkIII.png
    mkIII.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 180
You may be able to increase output of the pc. I am using Linux so cannot remember how to do that in windows. It is also possible to use an external DAC with full 2v output. I am using hifimediy 24/96 Sabre DAC dongle that outputs 2.2v. This will improve the output of the Helder 2020. It is probably possible to change resistors to increase output of 2020, but other problems could result ie. the least of them being to ruin the PCB traces, etc. I am using an amp board using the MAXIM 9744 chip that outputs 12-14 good watts into an 8 ohm load from a 12 volt supply (battery) and is supplied with output of the forementioned DAC dongle. My speakers are 8 ohm, 90 dB and I get all the volume I need. I noticed you have an old 2050 board from hifimediy. They may be able to help you with that if you contact them at HiFimeDIY Store. Ask at the forum or just use contact form...

Last edited:
You may be able to increase output of the pc. I am using Linux so cannot remember how to do that in windows. It is also possible to use an external DAC with full 2v output. I am using hifimediy 24/96 Sabre DAC dongle that outputs 2.2v. This will improve the output of the Helder 2020. It is probably possible to change resistors to increase output of 2020, but other problems could result ie. the least of them being to ruin the PCB traces, etc. I am using an amp board using the MAXIM 9744 chip that outputs 12-14 good watts into an 8 ohm load from a 12 volt supply (battery) and is supplied with output of the forementioned DAC dongle. My speakers are 8 ohm, 90 dB and I get all the volume I need. I noticed you have an old 2050 board from hifimediy. They may be able to help you with that if you contact them at HiFimeDIY Store. Ask at the forum or just use contact form...

I use mainly manjaro linux, no windows, I do have a DAC somewhere and will try it to see if the volume increases. thanks for the input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.