Anaview AMS1000-2600 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone compare the ams-1000-2600 to the hypex ncore400???

I have seen a couple of guys that have compared AMS anaview new moduels with hypex n core and all who did said they prefer AMS anaview... notably, the somewhat famous audiovisjion, who BUILDS hypex amps and sells them, admitted that at the very least he prefered the amphion amp (which is using the anaview AMS modules) to the hypex ncore with the amphion one18 loudspeakers. reference: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/851143-high-end-nearfield-test-87.html post 2591 «Though I build the hypex Ncore amps in Norway I have to admit the Anaview´s modules from Amphion is a better match. They somehow bring out a level of resolution and focus that is even more impressive. I would not hesitate to use any of the two though. I tested the Anaview against a couple of amps from Harman & Kardon today costing twice the price of the Amphion and witness the transparency ,liniarity, focus and phase response just falling apart. It was quite sad to see the face of the buyer when he heard the difference.» Also, I have found a couple of guys who has went from hypex to anaview. I have gather that the new ams modules compared to the older aml modules arent that far appart though. so users with D-Sonic commercial amps that uses the anaview old modules has already said that they prefered the anaview to hypex.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

my AMS1000-2600 will soon arrive, and I wonder how much gain does it have.
My main source is a Raspberry PI with on board I2S DAC and it would be perfect not to have
a preamp needed. There is a digital hardware based gain, but if something goes wrong and
the Amp gets a 2V feed this could possibly damage my NEAR 50Me speakers (8Ohm 90dBW)?
Could I use just a potentiometer in front of the input, and would it be acceptable (thinking about a low impedance one)?
Or, is there any possibility to mod the Amp with variable gain.

Any suggestions regarding input gain is very appreciated!
Cheers to all.

Hi Pabo,

I'm currently using a pair of AMS1000-2600 in BTL configuration. My preamp is a Benchmark DAC2 with an output impedance of 135 Ohms. The interconnection is balanced using XLR mogami cables, 3 m lenght.

Do you think the preamp - amp matching is adecuate? Or should I consider getting an input buffer?

The latest HiFi News has a test of the PS Audio Sprout that uses the Anaview ALC0100-2300, they were not convinced by the sound (especially the bass), and the measurements showed uneven frequency response and a very bad SNR.

The ALC0100-2300 does not belong to the latest Anaview AMS generation of power modules, is older technology, like hypex UcD. Currently there are only two AMS offerings, AMS100 and AMS1000.

I found this posted some time ago:

On Audiogon amp forums, someone posted that they spoke with Richard, Anaview's head of U.S. Sales and Distribution in N.J., and reported this:

"the new AMS-1000-2600 modules are currently being built at their Chinese contractors and will be available soon....He said the main difference between these modules is not sound quality, saying both sound remarkably similar, but the ability of the new AMS to automatically adapt internally to either 115 or 230 voltages. The older ALC requires a change of setting on an internal dip switch, correct attachment of an inline fuse and the use of a supplied small jumper when assembling that is specifically configured depending on supplied mains voltage."

The same poster also bought the older, now discontinued Anaview modules and had Dennis, the owner of D-Sonic, assemble the amps for him. He talked to Dennis about using the new Anaview modules and reports:

"Dennis has stated the difference between the modules, in his opinion, is subtle"

So there are two opinions about the new Anaview modules, one from the manufacturer, and one from a commercial account of the manufacturer.

One would think that the manufacturer and one of their clients would be in a good position to evaluate these new Anaview modules and the differences between them and the old ones...

Last edited:
I found this posted some time ago:

On Audiogon amp forums, someone posted that they spoke with Richard, Anaview's head of U.S. Sales and Distribution in N.J., and reported this:

"the new AMS-1000-2600 modules are currently being built at their Chinese contractors and will be available soon....He said the main difference between these modules is not sound quality, saying both sound remarkably similar, but the ability of the new AMS to automatically adapt internally to either 115 or 230 voltages. The older ALC requires a change of setting on an internal dip switch, correct attachment of an inline fuse and the use of a supplied small jumper when assembling that is specifically configured depending on supplied mains voltage."

The same poster also bought the older, now discontinued Anaview modules and had Dennis, the owner of D-Sonic, assemble the amps for him. He talked to Dennis about using the new Anaview modules and reports:

"Dennis has stated the difference between the modules, in his opinion, is subtle"

So there are two opinions about the new Anaview modules, one from the manufacturer, and one from a commercial account of the manufacturer.

One would think that the manufacturer and one of their clients would be in a good position to evaluate these new Anaview modules and the differences between them and the old ones...

Kuribo,

Firstly, lets clarify that in those posts, they are talking about different power modules. The comparison was between the two most powerful Abletec/Anaview amplifiers.

Secondly, you missed some later comments in the same forum about those assessments:

- Richard did not have a clue about the power modules he was talking about. He didn't even know that the ALC1000-1300 was already discontinued!!

- D-Sonic's Dennis Deacon later posted comments about his own experience with the two biggest Abletec/Anaview amplifiers and found several differences in favor of the new AMS technology.

If we make an analogy with Hypex technology, many may comment that UcD sounds remarkably similar to Ncore. However, upon critical listening specific setups, it is clear that the newest development introduces better high frequency performance as well as further control of the speakers with complex impedance loads.

The same is happening with Anaview AMS technology. Patrik Bostrom, aka PABO, has already explained that the new Adaptive Modulation Servo has a clear advantage over previous ALC generation. Of course, to appreciate the differences is something that will depend on the whole playback chain.

Yes, the comparison was between the older and newer higher power Anaview modules.

Richard not knowing the older module was discontinued doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to evaluating the differences between the old and the new. That is flawed logic.

Since Dennis and Mr. Bostrom are interested parties, I think it makes sense to wait until we have evaluations from third parties.

By the way, where are the "serious comparisons" you spoke of between Anaview and ncore?

It is strange that PS Audio would use an older-generation, discontinued module in a brand new design - and that it would result in measurements that are so bad - doesn't bode well for the current generation modules, considering nobody is speaking about improved bass and SNR with the new ones (the weak spots of the PS Audio Sprout).

I have both AMS100 and AMS1000 here now, as well as Ncore. Not sure when I get the time to test them but I'll report when it happens.

That's great Omholt, I'd love to hear your comments!

Please keep in mind that the Anaview modules are not as DIY friendly as the NC400.

The Hypex NC400 includes a discrete input stage that facilitates the acceptable matching of almost any kind of preamp or even passive volume control. The only disadvantage of this is that it does not give you the freedom (or is relative more complex) to fine tune the sound of the amp to your liking. The OEM NC1200 has a IC input stage that can be replaced by the OEM to give the amplifier the sound signature of the manufacturer brand.

The Anaview modules, in this aspect, are more similar to the NC1200 than to the NC400. You have to build your own input stage and rise the input impedance if you want to make sure preamp compatibility.

Otherwise, if for example using a typical vacum tuve preamplifier, you risk to suffer channel imbalance, premature LF roll-off and increased distortion.

Alternatively, it should be rather safe to use a low output impedance preamplifier (<200 Ohms) directly connected to the power modules in balanced mode.

In summary, it may prove more difficult to extract all the performance from the Anaview modules than from the NC400.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.