Moving volume potentiometer off PCB on lepai-2020

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I bought this amp to use in a mini arcade I am building and thought it would be a brainless $20 plug and play component. it turns out I have a lot of clearance issues within my overall arcade enclosure and had to scrap my initial plan of simply cutting a hole to stick the Lepai control panel out of. I cracked it open expecting the volume potentiometer to just be free floating connected front panel and I could just extend it to have more layout options... obviously that is not the case.

I have read a ton of threads here and now simply can wait to start modding this thing (as if i need more hobbies). So total newb question here but can I desolder the potentiometer and add leads on it? This would allow me to install just volume through the wall of the arcade box (my true intention) rather than the entire unit? this would solve a myriad of space related layout issues with the other sub components. If that is the case what would be a suggested maximum length i could move this component away from the board?

It is 100% possible I am going about this the wrong way and should just be researching intercepting the line in audio and control volume there?

Any help would be appreciated.

I had moved the pot and both leds onto about 12 inch leads, and everything appeared to be ok except one led I think I got backwards. I powered off, switched the leads and powered back on. brief dim blip on the leds, a few snaps and pops and then a puff of smoke followed by the wife asking me if I was dead. not sure where the wrong turn was but it seemed best to start with a new board.

It depends where the volume control is connected in the circuit.
If its in the class d amp area then there might be problems adding long leads.

I sold a class d amp a couple of years back and the bloke emailed me saying it didn't work. I asked if he had made any changes and he had put the mosfets off the pcb on long leads to the heat sink. This had upset the class d amp and stopped it working. He put the mosfets back on the pcb and it starting working again.

So I bought this amp to use in a mini arcade I am building and thought it would be a brainless $20 plug and play component. it turns out I have a lot of clearance issues within my overall arcade enclosure and had to scrap my initial plan of simply cutting a hole to stick the Lepai control panel out of.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bin the excreable thing.
Buy A YJ ta2020 amp (ebay ~15$ shipped)
Less coin and while still using crap Fake parts including the TA chip, because the circuit is simpler,. ie; No Foolish /badly designed tone setup.
It sounds better and is infinitely More reliable than those Dog Doppings Lepais. Also MUCH smaller so easier to fit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.