Low-cost Boom Box Retrofit Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Newbie here with some electrical experience and zero audio experience, except that I have a pair of JBL S38 speakers hooked up a Crown XTi1000, and I love the sound.

I got my hands on a dead Harman Kardon Go+Play speaker dock. The logic/amp board is missing and I would like to fit it with an amp that makes it sound at least as good as the original unit did, for the least amount of money :) .

The drivers consist of a pair of 30watt woofers and a pair of 15watt tweeters, all rated at 4 ohms. The unit specs state that these ratings are all at 1% THD.

I am looking at a Sure amplifier board with a TK2050 chip, which is rated at 100watts per channel. Since the tweeters distort horribly at low frequency, i also need at least a high pass filter. I'm thinking something in the range of 3Khz to 5Khz would work.

With the amp board at $40 and a pair of 5Khz high pass filters at $6 each, I am looking at $52, which approaches the maximum that I want to spend.

My (perceived) problem is that with a high-pass filter on the tweeters, I would need to wire the drivers in parallel, which would put a 2 ohm load on the amp. I'm thinking that since my maximum load is under half of the amp's rated load (in watts), it could still work. Can anyone tell me if I can expect the amp to run a 2-ohm, 45 watt load distortion free?

I know that I could use a crossover but the cheapest ones are $25 each, which would push the cost to $85.

If this doesn't work, I could buy the four channel amp instead ($50) and run each driver on its own channel. This would also open up the possibility of doing the filtering at the input.

Is there a cheaper solution to my project? Do I need a crossover instead of the high pass filter? Can I devise a low-cost input filter for the 4-channel amp? Is this type of amplifier well matched, quality wise, to the drivers?

Thanks!

A series cap will act as a simple XO, the amp will see a 4 ohm load. I'd go with a 12-20v amp, a TK2050 is a bit overkill. If you take something like a TPA3116, you can use a 19v laptop brick as PSU. Grab one from Ebay, order some caps with it and you'll stay below 20 bucks :).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.