how to avoid bus pumping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had bus pumping problem with my classdaudio sds-254, when playing some deep and punch bass, what would be a good way to avoid it, except turn volume down? right now I power it with connex SMPS300R, +/-45V, undersized I know, thinking to get a big one, like SMPS800RE, or go old way with 600VA transformer and some big caps, will it help? Thanks

I've seen that suggestion but don't understand it - "bus pumping" is the consequence of bidirectional power flow in switching output stages - energy stored in the speaker's mass/spring reactive components being returned to the PS during part of the output waveform

I don't see how bridging makes any difference in the basic power flow issue

if X Joules is stored in the moving cone mass then that X Joules gets returned to the PS Caps by the switching stages while decelerating the cone mass (with some reduction from <100% efficiency in switches and speaker)

I have definitely seen bus pumping in DC motor full bridge drives - had to explain to the Mech E why he blew up his drive electronics

https://www.google.com/#q=motor+braking+load+dump+resistor

Last edited:
I had bus pumping problem with my classdaudio sds-254, when playing some deep and punch bass, what would be a good way to avoid it, except turn volume down? right now I power it with connex SMPS300R, +/-45V, undersized I know, thinking to get a big one, like SMPS800RE, or go old way with 600VA transformer and some big caps, will it help? Thanks

Do you use it in bridge mode or in stereo mode ? ( should be no bus pumping in bridge mode) If in stereo mode reverse the input polarity of one channel ( with the jumper , one channel inverted and one channel non inverted ) and reverse the polarity of one of your speaker outputs ( put the - wire in the + output and vice versa ) and you should be fine .

Cheers ,

Rens

Last edited:
If in stereo mode reverse the input polarity of one channel ( with the jumper , one channel inverted and one channel non inverted ) and reverse the polarity of one of your speaker outputs ( put the - wire in the + output and vice versa ) and you should be fine .

The board has the option to invert the signal while keeping each channel independent?

That's the way to go then. Same effect as running BTL.

Do you use it in bridge mode or in stereo mode ? ( should be no bus pumping in bridge mode) If in stereo mode reverse the input polarity of one channel ( with the jumper , one channel inverted and one channel non inverted ) and reverse the polarity of one of your speaker outputs ( put the - wire in the + output and vice versa ) and you should be fine .

Cheers ,

Rens

thanks for the tip, exactly what I should do? see the pic below, so just jump another side (in yellow) for one channel, then switch +/- on speaker of this channel? any change on input? (reverse the polarity of input of this channel?)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20140531_112953.jpg
    IMG_20140531_112953.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 452
Reversing one polarity in case of 2 channels should ALWAYS be done by default. The benefit is a more equal utilization of the supply rails - double frequency through interleaving plus it helps against pumping. Powersoft calls this "balanced supply operation mode"..
Still there is no guarantee that low frequency is always mono - I know of some songs that use left right effects also in the bass range. In this case, bass should be converted to mono - convert L and R to stereo sum (L+R) and stereo difference (L-R), highpass the difference signal, then combine again.

tried but didn't work, jumper in yellow made no sound, and reversed input caused a big hum noise

Don't you have a manual ? The website states that you can reverse the input polarity by changing jumpers : "The balanced input stage is one of the finest available and normally only found on very expensive high-end equipment. When using single ended inputs, you can change a jumper to select inverted or non-inverted input as well... useful in some instances"
Looked for a download for the manual , but couldn't find it .
If you figure this out , the buspumping will be gone or at least much less.

Cheers ,

Rens

another option is a charge balancer between the supply rails. you need 2 isolated bridge drivers 4 nfets and a good pump cap capacitor. you could run it at 30khz, above the audio .
not very heavy fets needed. an fdd1600 (only80-100V needed) could do the job, plus 2 SI8234's and some clock signal. 47u 100V electrolytic lowZ.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.