Looking for class d, single supply, 4 Ohm, max power - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 03:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default Looking for class d, single supply, 4 Ohm, max power

Hi,
for a subwoofer project im looking for class d boards which should be able to

- run on a single supply (24v prefered, anything else ok)
- work with 4 ohm speaker(s)
- output something around 100W (the more the better)

i already have this TPA3116:
TPA3116 Amplifier Assembled Board 50W + 50W Official Version Amp Board-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

which is good for almost anything but driving a subwoofer towards higher levels.

and i have this TDA7498:
TDA7498 100W+100W Class D Amplifier Board High Power Amplifier Board-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

which is good for a subwoofer, but not at 4 Ohm.

I know that there are TAS5630, IRS2092, TPA8950 and so on.
but they all need dual supply.

now i found this here:
Free Shipping Parallel TDA7498 2.0 power amplifier board (200WX200W) D Class Amplifier Board,Can connect 3 ohm speaker-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com
it seems to be an paralleled TDA7498.
i didnt even know this was possible.

can someone confirm that it is possible to run TDA7498 in pbtl?
how would that be done with the black board above?

do i overlook a chip that would fit my needs?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:36 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Isn't the TPA3116 in PBTL mode capable of driving 100 watts into 2 ohms? Are you looking for 200 watts mono?

One option is to use something like this with two 24 volt bricks to get dual rail supply but not mess with transformers.

YJ TDA8950 2.1 150W+150W+250W Class D Amplifier Board Speaker Protection - Free Shipping - ThanksBuyer

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd July 2014 at 09:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 09:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: croatia
tas5630 dont need dual supply
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:28 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
5th element's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
tas5630 dont need dual supply
This.
__________________
What the hell are you screamin' for? Every five minutes there's a bomb or somethin'! I'm leavin! bzzzz!
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:30 PM   #5
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
tas5630 dont need dual supply
But it needs 50 volt supply to get max power and also a 12 volt supply for the signal processing electronics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
thanks for the replies.


Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Isn't the TPA3116 in PBTL mode capable of driving 100 watts into 2 ohms? Are you looking for 200 watts mono?
i have one of the red 3116 modded to pbtl.
it still only gives 50W to 4Ohm.
100W is only into 2 Ohm with 24V supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
One option is to use something like this with two 24 volt bricks to get dual rail supply but not mess with transformers.
hmmm...two 24V bricks.
i think it's sure-electronics who sell 24V 5A smps for something like 15€ - 20€ including the shipping.
that's indeed an option.
today i got an offer for toroid transformers: 625W with 2xsec 60V.
2 available, 29,90€ each.
please help me think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonitonitoni View Post
tas5630 dont need dual supply
yes, your right.
but a closer look almost disqualifies those boards.
they are quite expensive.

TDA8950 120W+120W Class D Amplifier Board High Power Amplifier Board-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

now, that's a cheap one.
when i have enough money for more sla batteries this could be ok for outdoor use.....
the cheap tda8950 plus two 24v smps seems to be the way of the budget so far.

i think this can be done with even less money....



edit:
oh no!!!
Click the image to open in full size.
tda8950 won't really kick tpa3116's *** at 24V into 4Ohm.

Last edited by Buehgemeiste; 2nd July 2014 at 10:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
5th element's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England
I thought most boards came with a 12v regulator on board so all they'd need is a single 50v supply. Either that or use a 50v supply and buy a 12v supply, the 12v bit needs naff all current so it doesn't have to be expensive. And if you're handy with DIY you could cook up your own 12v reg from a TL783.
__________________
What the hell are you screamin' for? Every five minutes there's a bomb or somethin'! I'm leavin! bzzzz!
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:41 PM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
I thought most boards came with a 12v regulator on board so all they'd need is a single 50v supply. Either that or use a 50v supply and buy a 12v supply, the 12v bit needs naff all current so it doesn't have to be expensive. And if you're handy with DIY you could cook up your own 12v reg from a TL783.
Yes, you are right most have an on board regulator to get 12v. But the cost of the 50v single rail supply at 7a will kill this project according to the OP's budget constraint. A 7812 and a cap is all it takes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:45 PM   #9
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member
 
xrk971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia
I have even wondered if two cheap 19v SMPS bricks can be paralleled to get 8 amps for $12 ( as bricks are only $6 ea). I started a thread to ask this previously. I think consensus is it may work IFF SMPS are identical and blocking diodes are used along with some low resistance load balancing power resistors. I have two bricks on order and will test.

Of course my first test will be to see if it works without diodes or resistors.

Last edited by xrk971; 2nd July 2014 at 10:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I have even wondered if two cheap 19v SMPS bricks can be paralleled to get 8 amps for $12 ( as bricks are only $6 ea). I started a thread to ask this previously. I think consensus is it may work IFF SMPS are identical and blocking diodes are used along with some low resistance load balancing power resistors. I have two bricks on order and will test.

Of course my first test will be to see if it works without diodes or resistors.
interesting!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehgemeiste View Post
Free Shipping Parallel TDA7498 2.0 power amplifier board (200WX200W) D Class Amplifier Board,Can connect 3 ohm speaker-in Amplifier from Electronics on Aliexpress.com
it seems to be an paralleled TDA7498.
i didnt even know this was possible.

can someone confirm that it is possible to run TDA7498 in pbtl?
how would that be done with the black board above?
as the board i posted in the op is only 11 with shipping, i'm still in hope this might work.
and because i bought that for something like 16 it's itching my fingers to compensate that with another order.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single power supply class d VDID Class D 2 25th September 2011 11:36 PM
Max voltage for single supply opamp Gunders Parts 2 19th November 2008 02:56 PM
How much current draws a 3886 at 4 Ohm & max. power? Bassterror Chip Amps 10 28th August 2006 12:32 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2