Sure Class D "standby" or sleep situation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a Sure Amp 2*100 model 11141-112V110. I had been using it for awhile, and it worked great. Unfortunately, when the PS blew a fuse, I blew the amp by my dumb mistake. I replaced the amp with a newer Sure AA-AB32166V210.

My issue is this amp provides some hiss to the speakers when there is no audio input. The hiss/noise is very small, but they sit behind a well worn chair. I'll clarify the configuration:
Sure PS feeding 27V to the Sure amp. The amp is connected to an Airport express for audio input. The fan on the amp has been modified by me to add a thermistor and it only turns on at 104deg. (With or without fan connected/running I get the hiss).

When I output audio from the AE, it all sounds good. When the AE is plugged in, but idle and not playing audio, I get the hiss. The hiss is annoying as I sit in a well worn chair near the speakers. When I unplug the AE the hiss goes away. The old amp never hissed, as it seemed to be on idle or sleep mode when there was no audio input.

I sent Sure a few emails, but they just tell me there is no standby/sleep. They did recommend I mute it! Even after I explained this runs fully automatic over a wireless network and must remain live and I needed to remove the hiss without a mute function, their recommendation was to mute it! UGH! Parts express recommended I do it in a pre amp, but the amp is not supposed to have a preamp.

How can I remove the noise or idle the input until I hit a threshold current or voltage?

Please help! I loved the old system, but this will not do!

Sleep mode noise

One other item: I have read many threads here regarding the Sure amp, and no one complains about this hiss. Therefore, I thought it must be me. To check, I have tested 2 of these amps, and both have the same noise I also tested the input and tried it with 2 different Airport expresses. One of those AE's was the same one providing no hiss when used with the old Sure amp 11141.

Since others did not complain about this, I am confused as I expect it must have a sleep or idle mode. Maybe I just don't have it turned on? The old board had dip switches, the new board does not (although I don't remember a "sleep" dip setting).

If this is a common problem, and it is unfixable, does anyone know if the other amps have this feature and someone can make a recommendation?
Thanks

Hiss when grounded

I am not sure how to answer if it hisses when grounded. I have the PS and amp on the same ground. The audio input is direct from the AE to the amp board (3.5mm to RCA), and I can conceive of no way to ground this. I do have a well shielded 3.5/RCA with gold plated tips. I do not think I am getting any induced noise into the audio cable. The audio in wire does not lie over the amp or other circuitry.:headbash:

It's a very low hiss

Just for more information: the volume level of the "hiss" or white noise, is very, very low. Unfortunately, if you sit right next to the speaker as we do, it becomes noticeable. Once you notice it, its too late. My old amp never had this noise. However, the old amp "popped" a bit as the audio went on/off. This new amp I have not noticed this. This is a bit of a clue for me they did something different in the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.