Boominator in a bag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there. So I've been doing small electronic projects for a while, and decided I wanted an audio system I could carry around.

I got two JAMO 8" drivers from a friend, and that is what kicked me into this project. I want to make a boominator like device, but with more focus on the actual sound quality.

I want the bass to be felt, but I don't want it to be overpowering, and drowning out the mids and highs.

For reference, I really really like my
  • Logitech x-530 PC speaker set
  • Beyerdynamic DTX101 In-ear
  • Sony MDR-XB700 Headphones

I made a video with the bag, and what I currently have in it. I also bring up more points as to what questions I have.

Video (And shiit I'm sorry about the motion sickness you most likely will get :S)

As I say in the video, I don't want to go for Piezo tweeters, as I don't like the audio quality from them. The ones I've heard are the Motorola clone, that I have forgotten the name of.

In case you are unable to watch the video, I will briefly recap the questions asked:

• Power solution: Preferably a Lithium solution, but safe. Can 12v suffice, or would higher provide a considerable quality boost?
  • Tweeters: No piezos. Which tweeters should I go for?
  • Amp: Should I switch from my TA2020? (and if I have to move to higher voltage, this is obviously a yes)
  • Solutions on allowing the woofers to breathe. (Really best understood by watching the video)

EDIT: And just for fun, I'll add a previous project I never finished. Do you think I could pull off a decent tube?
The boomTube

Last edited:
The Boominator can be build with P.audio PHT407N tweeters. They sound much better than the piezo's. The piezo's are meant as a budget option: they are really cheap, match the drivers, have an *acceptable* SQ and don't require a real XO.

You mention not wanting a lithium setup, later on you mention maybe wanting to go for a lithium polymer or laptop battery pack.... Which are both lithium. LiFePO4 (again lithium) is fully safe, as opposed to lipo and li-ion, and can be used just like a SLA but have many advantages (such as weight).

The best amp on 12v (4S LiFe) is the MaxAmp20 from Accusafe for now.

Why bother using a bag? Just strap some handles on the halfinator and clip your sport bag strap to it.

Did your friend build THE boominator, or just a portable speaker based on his own design? Because there is quite a difference.

Okay, two out of two times it seems that my reply has not gone through :/?

Anyways. Yeah it makes a lot more sense to not have it in the bag, and just add the straps.

What I meant to say was that I'd like to stay away from SLA's if possible, and go with lithium based power solutions, but I didn't entirely trust those. I'd trust LiFePO4's tho, but wasn't sure if that was feasible.

After some googling, it would be an expensive battery pack, but I think it'd be worth it. Initially, I'll test with SLA's tho.

As for my friend, he build what I think is THE boominator, with 4 8" subs, and 4 piezo tweeters, and a ta2020.

As for the tweeters, I have had a look at those, and why would I not need a real XO? And what is a "not real" XO?

-Mikkel Jeppesen

The Boominator has 4x 10" hp10w woofers (not 8", not 12"... 10") and 4x piezo tweeters. Or real horn tweeters such as the pht407n.

I'd also like to point out that there's a big difference between different seeming identical piezo tweeters. It is very few that I can actually recommended. There's also a big difference is the piezo is treated with silicone dampening as I have described in my Boominator thread or it's just the bare piezo.

But for someone that is serious about the sound I'd go with the pht407n horns. They are a good deal better.

I sincerely doubt those JAMO drivers outperform the hp10w+pht407n in any way. Volume or sound quality. The hp10w's really are gems for the price.

If it's because you want something smaller I've also just released the Boominator MINI design but I do not recommend that for a first build.

Also note that whatever you design/build it is not a Boominator. Boominator is the name I gave my specific design as presented here on DIYaudio. The name did not exist before I invented it (for an audio device anyway as unknown to me at the time it was the name for some boomless crop sprayers)!

Last edited:
Heheh, just what I thought. "Boominator" is becoming a synonym for a big portable speaker, when actually it's not 'just another speaker'. It's a very specific design, special made for best performance when playing music free-field.

You can get a 41USD 4.2ah LiFe pack from Hobbyking. Will last around 12 hours on full blast and 40 on medium when used with the Maxamp. You can use almost its full capacity, as opposed to SLA which need to be disconnected at 80% discharge.

The piezo's only need a resistor in series, it will act as a simple RC highpass filter. The HP10W and PHT407N need a more complex filter. While many piezo's may look-a-like, they definitely don't sound-a-like ;p.

TIL that the designer of the Boominator was danish :)
Also I get that you are protective of your name, but I see it as a compliment, that people have adopted your word and idea so broadly :)

Anyways. I'm going with the JAMO subs, because I got those for free, and they do play danm good :)

Also 4,2Ah lasting 12 hours, danm :O I My friend says he gets a few hours at max out of his 12Ah SLA, but he does ofc have two more subs, and the whole SLA thing.

I think I'll go with LiFePO4 then :p

Heheh, just what I thought. "Boominator" is becoming a synonym for a big portable speaker, when actually it's not 'just another speaker'. It's a very specific design, special made for best performance when playing music free-field.

The last part is important to stress as well. It's designed for free field use, it can be used a in garden or a town square but it's really at it's finest used on the beach, in the wilderness, in the park or any other large open space.

(The version with Eminence Basslite S2010 + PHT407N is more general use though but still not that suited for indoors use unless it's a really large room.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.