DIY solar powered-battery powered-mp3-mini boombox thingy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TPA6017 DIY solar powered-battery powered-BABBLE BOX

To all:

Im trying to roll my own mini boombox, solar with battery backup power. I have some speakers that I want to repurpose, but have a couple questions.

1. The speakers are from a herman miller babble unit. These were some sort of voice masking device for offices, so Im not sure if the speakers will be adequate or the proper type. See pics for the front of the speakers and the back, with specs.

2. The speakers are both powered with an individual amp board inside each speaker, I think they are based on the TPA6017 chip, but Im not sure, as Im not very familiar with audio stuff, but just enough to be dangerous.
(Can I even use this amplifier/circuit to drive the speakers to a proper level for normal use?) See pics attached, for the amp circuit board.

3. I checked the pins coming from the main head unit and it seems to have 6 wires going to it, which I think are two for +5vdc for power, and the other 4 for audio signal, I think, but not sure if they are seperate for high/low frequencies or what, since this is new to me, I have no idea. Looking for some guidance on this. The boards use a phone style plug connection for the wires on the amp, hence the "phone" connectors on the amp circuit board.

I have a very rough hand drawn diagram of how I think I will need to wire it. I have a (SP) solar panel, with a SLA battery and a usb charging circuit to go from 12vdc to 5vdc for the amp boards. Please let me know if this will work or just shoot holes in my plans so I can put it together right and make it work. I just plan on using an ipod/phone to run audio to it.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Pics

Here's the pictures, not sure why they didnt show up on the first post.

Attachments

• 20140618_132534.jpg
    20140618_132534.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_20140618_172048.jpg
    IMG_20140618_172048.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 500
  • 2014-06-18+17.36.06.jpg
    2014-06-18+17.36.06.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_20140618_172333.jpg
    IMG_20140618_172333.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20140618_172803.jpg
    IMG_20140618_172803.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20140618_173231.jpg
    IMG_20140618_173231.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20140618_173239.jpg
    IMG_20140618_173239.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20140618_173258.jpg
    IMG_20140618_173258.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20140618_173328.jpg
    IMG_20140618_173328.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 131
Correct, the 6017 is a class AB amplifier.

Honestly, I'd start from scratch on this project. The speakers have unknown parameters, so you can't properly design an enclosure for them. Based on their small size they're probably not all that efficient either - plus if the original application was voice masking, the low end frequency response probably isn't all that great for music listening.

To get started, I'd pick up the following:

- A solar panel - if it's 5 watts or less, you can connect them to a 7aH SLA without worrying too much about overcharging - SLA chemistry will burn excessive charge off as heat.
- A suitable amp that'll run off +12V directly. I'd just buy one off eBay - there's lots of options to choose from, I'd personally snag something based on TI TPA3116. Off the 12V SLA, this will give a peak sine power of ~15W/ch.

For speakers/enclosure, there's a few good designs kicking around - there's a 'Boominator Mini' design which is excellent, but it uses hard-to-get speakers. On the cheapest side of things, which won't be as loud/efficient but still perfectly fine, you could just toss a couple of cheap car audio speakers into an open-backed box.

Ive decided to go with a build based on the Paul Carmody Sprite
https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/sprite
with a few changes/additions.

For the amplifier im going to use the TA2024, seems to be popular and should hopefully work well.

Also adding a bluetooth module so wireless play is available.

Im building a center chamber that will house the amplifier and batteries. Im going to use 2- 7ah 12v SLA batteries to power it as well as a 1.5w solar panel to keep them topped off.

I also want to add a usb charging circuit to it so I can charge devices from the batteries as well. Are there any things I should be aware of , or can I just add a usb charging circuit from a car phone charger?

Anyone have thoughts?

Received the speakers, crossover parts, TA2024 amp and bluetooth module on Saturday afternoon.

Went to radio shack and bought some misc. parts, volume control, DC input jack, on/off switches, audio input jacks etc.

Wired it all up last night, but having some issues, I think I wired the volume control wrong. I'll have to troubleshoot tonight.

Much progress made.

Made some good headway last night, almost finished with the cabinet, needed to cut out the speaker holes, but didnt have a 3" hole saw, so I had to make a circle cutting jig for my router.

After that, cut out the holes and messed up one of them, but since this is my first Sprite build, im going to leave it and sand the best I can. got the furniture bolts installed for the removable top, seems to fit pretty well.

installed handle on the side and wired it up, just need to finish mounting the on/off switch, line in, and volume control.

I was contemplating adding usb charging for phones on the exterior and one on the interior to keep the bluetooth module charged up, but we'll see.
IMG_20140702_223155.jpg
IMG_20140702_223146.jpg
IMG_20140702_205911.jpg
IMG_20140702_205837.jpg
IMG_20140702_205820.jpg
IMG_20140702_202835.jpg
IMG_20140702_202824.jpg
20140702_195411.jpg
20140702_194802.jpg
20140702_194753.jpg
20140702_194639.jpg
20140702_194631.jpg
20140702_194610.jpg
20140702_194603.jpg

To all:

Im trying to roll my own mini boombox, solar with battery backup power. I have some speakers that I want to repurpose, but have a couple questions.

1. The speakers are from a herman miller babble unit. These were some sort of voice masking device for offices, so Im not sure if the speakers will be adequate or the proper type. See pics for the front of the speakers and the back, with specs.

2. The speakers are both powered with an individual amp board inside each speaker, I think they are based on the TPA6017 chip, but Im not sure, as Im not very familiar with audio stuff, but just enough to be dangerous.
(Can I even use this amplifier/circuit to drive the speakers to a proper level for normal use?) See pics attached, for the amp circuit board.

3. I checked the pins coming from the main head unit and it seems to have 6 wires going to it, which I think are two for +5vdc for power, and the other 4 for audio signal, I think, but not sure if they are seperate for high/low frequencies or what, since this is new to me, I have no idea. Looking for some guidance on this. The boards use a phone style plug connection for the wires on the amp, hence the "phone" connectors on the amp circuit board.

I have a very rough hand drawn diagram of how I think I will need to wire it. I have a (SP) solar panel, with a SLA battery and a usb charging circuit to go from 12vdc to 5vdc for the amp boards. Please let me know if this will work or just shoot holes in my plans so I can put it together right and make it work. I just plan on using an ipod/phone to run audio to it.

Thoughts?
Hello friend what changes have you made? I am just looking to install new speaker system and hope you can share out some vital information..

To all:

Im trying to roll my own mini boombox,
solar kit with battery backup power. I have some speakers that I want to repurpose, but have a couple questions.

Thoughts?

Hello friend what changes have you made? I am just looking to install new speaker system and hope you can share out some vital information..

Thanks for sharing out the details..

I've done a very similar project, using a 10W panel (which acutally gives 13-14W with good weather), a lead/acid gel battery, voltmeter (for checking battery/charging status), Lepai 2020 (very efficient, using good TP2020 class D chip) and old passive speakers. I've also added an step down to 5V for charging phones, tablets etc.. and an aptX bluetooth module (by Sure HiFi)...
I've already used it (played music) for 4 days nearly 24/7 incl. some mobile phone charges and the battery had still 12,8V in it.

I'm planning a bigger one with more powerful amp and speakers for next season with 2x20W foldable solar power and cheap chinese charging regulator to prevent overcharging, and maybe also raspberry pi with open elec OS and an 15,7" notebook display for watching movies and DVB-T and it also works as an Airplay client for music with a WLAN dongle. :D
My uncased prototype is already working, including video function and airplay :)

As a general guide, the battery monoblocs really do need at least 5mm spacing to the next battery and to wall, and the battery compartment needs to be ventilated. And use a comparator to put the amp module to sleep when battery voltage falls below about 9.6V (for 12V battery) to avoid accidently flattening the batteries to their death.

That is far far far too low for an SLA battery.

I would put the cutoff at 11.5v to compensate for voltage drop while under load but also to prevent SULPHATION of the battery.

SLA batteries are already dead at the 10v mark, 9.6v is just torturing a corpse.

the battery is a 12vdc 7ah SLA battery. Im not sure on the solar panel yet, probably will go with a small 1.5w solar panel, similar to this.
1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger

ALSO, the OP needs to upgrade the solar power system. 20 watts will charge it fairly well, 40 watts will do it within an hour.

1.5 watts wont ever charge it. Not even 5 watts, 10 watts MIGHT on a really hot day.

I also recommend using the 555 timer solar charge controller circuit. Cheap solar charge controllers off eBay use noisy switching circuits which will not sound pleasant on the voltage rails of an amplifier. (You will only hear clicks and pops.)

http://mdpub.com/555Controller/

You can buy the kit form from a site listed on there.

Experience:
I do this myself with a 12v-12AH SLA battery on a 5 watt solar power system powering a TDA2822 (and it just barely charges the battery, thinking of upgrading the Solar panel to 10 watts).

I also have a 12v 40AH sla battery on a 40 watt solar power system for Radios and LED lights, USB devices.

I also have a 12v nominal 400 AH off-grid system which powers my computers.

oh also don't go hanging the solar panel up a tree without earthing it aswell. and don't operate it during thunderstorms etc.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.