TPA3116 or what you suggest? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Antigen is offline Antigen  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default TPA3116 or what you suggest?

Hi,

I have read the long discussion about the TPA3116.

I have a pair of two way bookshelf speaker with 85 dB of sensitivity, nominal impedance 4-8 ohm.

Do you think that actually the TPA 3116 is the better solution that I can buy?

Or there is another solution with better audio quality?

For example I have heard about TDA7498E that have more power, but the quality?

Please, give me some suggestion.

In the case that TPA3116 is the better solution, what is the best board that you suggest to buy?

Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 11:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
What's your source? Digital or vinyl? If digital, what DAC?

Reason I ask is its pointless to make the amp better than the source feeding it.
Old 17th May 2014, 05:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

My source is a CD player and a PC with sabre dac

Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 05:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Suitably modded TPA3116 board would probably do well enough then I suggest. Replace the ferrite output inductors, add a decent amount of capacitance to the supply and ensure the grounding's done right (starred). Don't forget to decouple pin17.
Old 17th May 2014, 06:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

But the blue board of hiamplifier is not so good as is? Or is need to mood?
Old 17th May 2014, 06:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I only have experience of one of them but seeing as TI omitted to mention decoupling pin17 in the DS (whereas on at least one of their other chips in the family they made explicit mention of this) I'd say they probably all do need this mod. Besides which most of them ignored the wiring of the balanced input pins....
Old 17th May 2014, 07:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

What value of caps would you reccomend for the supply?
Old 17th May 2014, 09:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'd go for a large array of smaller caps - I had something like 91 * 4700uF in a hexagon shape. Some might not have the patience to wire all those up though - just be guided by how many you can face soldering together.
Old 17th May 2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyboyd View Post
What value of caps would you reccomend for the supply?
May be you can try the amp without any mode on your system first. See what "deficiency" you would like to rectify, then go for the mode(s) that target these deficiencies. At least you have a base line to compare things.

As pointed out in an earlier post, it is no point to improve your amp beyond the capability of other components of the system, particularly the speakers. Typically the speaker's distortion is many times worst than your amp.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Old 17th May 2014, 01:15 PM   #10
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 what Lo_Tse said. I'd go for the Breeze 2.1 and focus on a battery supply. You might be quite surprised just how good it already is before you start into mod's. You can run just the stereo outputs without the sub but if you want to add a sub then it's already there for you with basic crossover and level controls. Or is you want to build your own case, connectors etc and just run 2 channel get the Danz blue board.

Hide this!Advertise here!