TPA3118 vs. tripath TK2050?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've tried both a few TPA3118+TPA3318D2 and a few TK2050 boards from about 15$ to about 50$, I guess not one of them 100% maxed out but for my ears the TK2050 did sound clearly better in tendency. For mobile/battery powered devices the TK2050 needs more idle power (at least the two boards I compared) and there I would prefer the TPA3116 but for anything else I would go Tripath.

Last edited:
The TPA chips are far superior to the Tripaths IMO.

Which TPAs? TI has a wide range of chips with the TPA prefix and far from all offer even remotely satisfying sound quality if used as a loudspeaker amplifier. It's only with the latest TPA311x and TPA313x series that TI has finally caught up with the over 10 years older Tripath designs and can offer a sound quality on par with those.

Such a shame that Tripath went under before it really got started as one can only imagine what could have been achieved if their R&D had had 10 years more to perfect their designs.

The TPA chips are far superior to the Tripaths IMO.
Could you name/link a few comercial boards you listened to or at least the chips you mean? TK2050 sounds better than 2020 etc. (though both are already on a very high level when made well).

Can anyone link a comercial TPA3116 board which sounds better than the HiFimeDIY TK2050 boards for example?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.