Topping TP60 mod (new version) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2014, 12:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Topping TP60 mod (new version)

OK, here it is. I've finished my TP-60 mod. Just to be clear, as stated before, It's the new version.

During the mod process I've decided to change the original mod list. The actual mod list is as follows: (I will comment below each topic)

- Replace original pot with a 21 step SMD stepped attenuator
Major difference in SQ! as mentioned by other members, the original pot is not balanced for R/L. Also, mine was also a bit noisy. It was a perfect fit. The feel of the stepped att is just great too!

- Replace input caps with Auricap Xo
A bit difficult to fit. You can nottice the size difference! Great sounding cap IMO.

- Replace PSU caps with Nishicon KW and Panasonic FM (the original ones are Nishicon FW. Not bad!)
Simple as that

- Eliminate PCB on the back plate (soldering the new wiring directly to the plugs)
This was a pain! The original posts were very short and could not receive the bare wire (designed to be soldered on a PCB). I had to order new ones and make them fit!

- Replace input cable from RCAs to board with silversonic interconnect
no more connectors in the way!

- Replace output cables with Kimber speaker cable
Same here

- Replace main AC cable cables with Furutech
Same here.

- Solder trans cables directly to board, eliminating connectors
Again!

- General improvements on cooling
Originally, the Tripath had NO THERMAL COMPOUND between it and it's heat sink!!! Added extra heat sinks and replaced thermal pads with better and bigger ones. Before the mod, the smaller sink got really hot.

Regarding differences in sound, I believe there is no way for me to say it, because when new, I only turned it on to test, and did not have time to break it in or to listen to it properly. Although I can compare it to the old version TP-60. The new one (modded) has a richer sound, with a quieter background. The bass is deeper and more extended. Love the highs too. Overall it is a much better amp indeed. I am very happy with the mod and just LOVE this amp!!!
I would say without a doubt that it sounds like a good $2K SS amp.

Here are some pics. Hope you like it.
Gg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03510.jpg (335.3 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03513.jpg (293.1 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03526.jpg (245.8 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03530.jpg (317.8 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03533.jpg (234.2 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03532.jpg (239.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03540.jpg (274.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03544.jpg (356.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03534.jpg (322.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03536.jpg (295.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 25th April 2014, 12:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's a great mod, congratulations..
How does it sound compared to original?
Old 25th April 2014, 12:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you dakku.
As I said, I believe there is no way for me to say it, because when new, I only turned it on to test, and did not have time to break it in or to listen to it properly. Although I can compare it to the old version TP-60. The new one (modded) has a richer sound, with a quieter background. The bass is deeper and more extended. Love the highs too. Overall it is a much better amp indeed.
Old 25th April 2014, 12:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Did you find the original one getting hot? What warranted the tweaks to heat sink and thermal paste? Whilst they are great to have, did you experience any heat issues without them?
Old 25th April 2014, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hard to say, because when the case is closed, both heatsinks make contact with the chassi via a very thick thermal pad stack. So when the case is closed, it is impossible to measure the temps (without drilling a hole).
With the case open, the smaller sink gets really hot! Too hot to my liking.
I've added thermal paste to the Tripath's sink and glued the extra sinks with thermal glue.
The thermal pads that contact the sinks to the chassis were replaced by higher quality 5mm pads, cut so now they make contact with the entire area of the sinks.
I feel better now, nowing that the ICs will run cooler. For me, if it is too hot to the touch, it's too hot. Don't matter what the data sheet says. hehe
Old 25th April 2014, 01:32 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice!!! If you don't mind, what is the part number of the attenuator you used? Are you going to mode the old one .
Old 25th April 2014, 01:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Not at all, as far as I know, there is no part number. apparently there is just one guy selling it on ebay. Took me a long time to find. I don't know if I will break the law here but here is the link to it: Dact Type 21 Stepped Attenuator Volume 10K for Preamp | eBay
*edit: the link does not work. just search for DACT Type 21 Stepped Attenuator on ebay. you can't miss.

this one is 10K (only for the new version). The old version uses 50K (the same guy has it).
My apologies to the moderators if this is not allowed.

Yeah, I already ordered the att for the old one too!

Last edited by ggmesquita; 25th April 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 25th April 2014, 02:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hey mike, didn't see it was you.
As you can see I did not eliminate both the pot and the relay as we've spoken, but your advice and the pictures were really helpfull! Thanks again!
Old 25th April 2014, 04:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Gg,

Nice Pics! Might do some of those mods and thanks for the info! Cheers and happy listening
Old 5th July 2014, 02:26 PM   #10
jencelo is offline jencelo  United States
diyAudio Member

It may be a stupid question but hey I am a DIY newbie. I have the Topping TP60 that I do not use anymore because I like my TPA3118 amp better. I want to buy a TPA3116 board and swap it with TA2022 board in the TP60. What is the voltage on the TP60/TA2022? Would this work? Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!