Lepai Repair Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2014, 11:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lepai Repair Help

I have a Lepai LP2020A+ that's stopped working on the left side. It's not worth paying the shipping to return it, so I thought it might be a good project to learn with.

It worked for a while, then the left channel got very scratchy. Adjusting the bass controls seemed to affect the scratchiness, and eventually, the left channel stopped working - except that I can see the woofer on my left speaker extend fully when I turn the volume up, and retract fully when I turn it down. It's like someone is hooking a battery up to the speaker and applying straight power to it. The right side works fine.

Turning off the tone controls does not help.

Could this be a simple fix that I could solder in? There is a bit of discussion about upgrading some of the components in the amp to vastly improve sound - perhaps this is one of those components that's cheap to replace?

Thanks,
Old 1st April 2014, 09:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've got the same issue with mine right now and would like to get it resolved before going all out another.
I'm going through the various postings in here as we speak and hopefully we'll get some non-Smart-alecky replies in regards to it.
Old 1st April 2014, 01:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

My Lepai is the "New Ugraded!! 2013 Version" whatever that means. As far as I can tell the main difference is on the back panel the old ones had a small hole above the 3.5mm input, and mine has a sticker on the back that says "QC PASSED" which is ironic.

I'm hoping that this is a $0.59 fix with a soldering iron. I am very novice in electronics so it's a good learning opportunity for me.

I'd suggest to anyone using one of these that if one channel starts to sound funny, take a good look at your speakers. I am sure if I'd left my amp running, given that the speaker was fully extended, it would have caused damage to the speaker.
Old 1st April 2014, 01:47 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC144 View Post
I'm hoping that this is a $0.59 fix with a soldering iron. I am very
novice in electronics so it's a good learning opportunity for me.
Hi,

Not really. A T amp is not the place to start to learn troubleshooting.
If its a common problem with a common fix you can try that, but
you won't learn much in the process.
If the chip is fried there is nothing you can do.

Click the image to open in full size.

Unfortunately that is the by far the best diagnosis.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 1st April 2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 1st April 2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC144 View Post
I have a Lepai LP2020A+ that's stopped working on the left side. It's not worth paying the shipping to return it, so I thought it might be a good project to learn with.

Could this be a simple fix that I could solder in? There is a bit of discussion about upgrading some of the components in the amp to vastly improve sound - perhaps this is one of those components that's cheap to replace?

Thanks,
IMO it's DEAD !
As a Guess I'd say 3/4 of these do that sooner or later.
Yours unfortunately did it immediately.. hardly unheard of.
These Can sound good with cheapy speakers, prompting many (me included) to mod them... relentlessly, but soon enough the thing ..will.. lose a channel,
3 x for me. Clearly a Sloooow learner
More pertinently :trying a Lepai on Quality speakers was a genuine eye opener.
A mediocre to crap sound is the quick answer.
Wayyy too much enthusiasm and darned little substance to the claims.

Hide this!Advertise here!