Lepai Repair Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Lepai LP2020A+ that's stopped working on the left side. It's not worth paying the shipping to return it, so I thought it might be a good project to learn with.

It worked for a while, then the left channel got very scratchy. Adjusting the bass controls seemed to affect the scratchiness, and eventually, the left channel stopped working - except that I can see the woofer on my left speaker extend fully when I turn the volume up, and retract fully when I turn it down. It's like someone is hooking a battery up to the speaker and applying straight power to it. The right side works fine.

Turning off the tone controls does not help.

Could this be a simple fix that I could solder in? There is a bit of discussion about upgrading some of the components in the amp to vastly improve sound - perhaps this is one of those components that's cheap to replace?

Thanks,

My Lepai is the "New Ugraded!! 2013 Version" whatever that means. As far as I can tell the main difference is on the back panel the old ones had a small hole above the 3.5mm input, and mine has a sticker on the back that says "QC PASSED" which is ironic.

I'm hoping that this is a $0.59 fix with a soldering iron. I am very novice in electronics so it's a good learning opportunity for me.

I'd suggest to anyone using one of these that if one channel starts to sound funny, take a good look at your speakers. I am sure if I'd left my amp running, given that the speaker was fully extended, it would have caused damage to the speaker.

I'm hoping that this is a $0.59 fix with a soldering iron. I am very
novice in electronics so it's a good learning opportunity for me.

Hi,

Not really. A T amp is not the place to start to learn troubleshooting.
If its a common problem with a common fix you can try that, but
you won't learn much in the process.
If the chip is fried there is nothing you can do.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Unfortunately that is the by far the best diagnosis.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I have a Lepai LP2020A+ that's stopped working on the left side. It's not worth paying the shipping to return it, so I thought it might be a good project to learn with.

Could this be a simple fix that I could solder in? There is a bit of discussion about upgrading some of the components in the amp to vastly improve sound - perhaps this is one of those components that's cheap to replace?

Thanks,

IMO it's DEAD !
As a Guess I'd say 3/4 of these do that sooner or later.
Yours unfortunately did it immediately.. hardly unheard of.
These Can sound good with cheapy speakers, prompting many (me included) to mod them... relentlessly, but soon enough the thing ..will.. lose a channel,
3 x for me. Clearly a Sloooow learner :eek:
More pertinently :trying a Lepai on Quality speakers was a genuine eye opener.
A mediocre to crap sound is the quick answer.
Wayyy too much enthusiasm and darned little substance to the claims.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.