Class D & T Amp Building for Dummies (like me)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With the popularity of Class D & T DIY Amps I want to try building one, but a total newbie as far as amp building goes, especially SS. The availability of inexpensive good quality amp boards and components from some reliable Asian manufacturers has made life easier for the hobbyist.

In order to make this easy...Let's start with a 75-100 WPC Power Amp, just on/off switch with one pair of RCA L/R Inputs coming from any Pre-Amp, and L/R +/- speaker outputs and 120VAC IEC Power Jack.

1. What board would you recommend?

2. What accessories need to be added as far as RCA connectors, IEC Power Jack, On/Off Switch, Speaker connectors, interior power transformers (no exterior trans.), recommended chassis etc.?

3. What shopping list would you put together?

4. What mods should be considered?

Remember this is for dummies, not for the electrical engineers and electronics gurus out there.

For a beginner I definitely wouldn't recommend class d.
Its a nightmare as far as pcb layout decoupling etc is concerned.

If you really do need class d then use a ready made project like IR's IRAUDAMP series.
They even supply a pcb layout so you cant get it wrong.

Class AB is a bit more forgiving but even then you can end up with massive hum if the pcb isn't laid out properly.

For a beginner I definitely wouldn't recommend class d.
Its a nightmare as far as pcb layout decoupling etc is concerned.

If you really do need class d then use a ready made project like IR's IRAUDAMP series.
They even supply a pcb layout so you cant get it wrong.

Class AB is a bit more forgiving but even then you can end up with massive hum if the pcb isn't laid out properly.

I would recommend IRAUD-amps, too.
You get a bunch of information from the manufacturer international rectifier.
And you can buy very cheap good quality clones of the evaluation kit at sure electronics

Volt and Nigel: Thanks! At least I can start somewhere.

I always use commonsense, but getting some direction is always helpful, I'm sure my questions can be answered...Thanks anyway

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.