Connexelectronics TA3020 kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2014, 12:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
Default Connexelectronics TA3020 kit

Hi,

I have this kit with IRFP4321 output transistors and it acts kind of funny.

Power supply is a linear kit plus 300 VA 2x35V transformer. Auxiliary power is 12V SMPS from a wall adaptor and 7805 5V linear regulator with separate transformer. Mute pin is connected to the ground via jumper (no mute switch).

It's hooked up to Behringer CX2300 (not 2310) crossover as bass amplifier using XLR-to-RCA adapter cables (pins 1 and 3 bridged; shield unconnected in XLR plug - 50 Hz hum if shield connected at both ends). Mid-high amp is this. The units are stacked on top of each other on a table.

The anomaly: after the amp is powered down for more than half an hour or so, it has +30V DC on both output when powered on (speaker protection does its job well). Rail voltages are OK. When restarted it runs correctly after second or third attempt. Sometimes it induces noise (hiss) into mid-hi amp - restarting bass amp or disconnecting-reconnecting mid-hi amp signal cables corrects this. Once the amp runs correctly, it is stable for days of non-stop operation and gives no more anomalies until next power-down. I have swapped out the amp board for an another identical one and that one behaves identically. Could it be the +12V supply? 12V is on the high side for TA3020, but within ratings.

This is the layout of the amp (amplifier board is under power supply board on the right):
IMG1831.jpg
Old 29th March 2014, 03:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So no-one has an idea why an amplifier would act like this?
Old 30th March 2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Cristi is offline Cristi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Did you tried to ask me about ?
Old 30th March 2014, 12:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Cristi,

No, not really, it didn't occur to me to contact you directly I got the amp board from a friend who once used 3 of those for tri-amped system, but has now moved to fullrange plus supertweeter camp. He never had any anomalies with these boards, though.

But since you've chimed in, maybe you can give some advice? I'd be grateful! Especially regarding aux. power supply - SMPS didn't work well for +5V (switching noise at outputs), linear supply is much better; maybe I should try linear supply for 10V, too, instead of 7 SMPS? This is one difference between my and my friend's implementations - he was using linear regulators for both aux. supplies.

Hide this!Advertise here!