Regulated power necessary, or just hook up to batteries?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://wholesale.parts-express.com/2x50w-tda7492-class-d-amplifier-board--320-301

Can I simply hook two batteries in series (24v) to this amp? The manual says that is needs 6amp regulated power, but when I hook the batteries up directly, it plays and sounds great. Will running it off of batteries unregulated damage the amp?

If I hook up 2 12v 2.5ah batteries to this amp, what will the the number of amps the batteries will send to the unit? What about if I do 2 7ah batteries?

peufeu, can you help me decipher the datasheet? I am new at this, and not sure what it all means. If the amp needs 6amps, will this battery supply 6amps even when the amp is at full power? (the boom box had some cutting out when I turned it up all the way)
Here is some info from the data sheet.

Energy Density (20-hr. rate) ................................. 1.54 W-h/in3 (94.16 W-h/l)
Specifi c Energy (20-hr. rate) ............................... 17.14 W-h/lb (37.79 W-h/kg)
Internal Resistance (approx.) ................................ 40 milliohms
Max Discharge Current (7 Min.) ............................. 15.0 amperes
Max Short-Duration Discharge Current (10 Sec.) ...... 50.0 amperes

It says the battery will give 9 amps for 15 minutes, or 2.85A for 1 hour, etc.

The amplifier's max 6A current is probably only for full power.

Since your amp will not be using the maximum current all the time it should be fine.

You should add something to monitor the voltage as discharging lead acid batteries too much will shorten their life very very quick.

If you want to party all night with this you'll need larger batteries, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.