Soft start, speaker protection: Do I need them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello audio enthusiasts!

I'm an absolute biginner in audio DIY and I'm trying to build a 4 channel amplifier for my speakers. My amplifier is a Sure tk2050 4x100w and I have a Meanwell clone s350-24 power supply provided by Sure. Since, I don't want to risk hurting my speakers should I buy a speaker protection board? If I understand correctly then I have to buy a second power supply to run it... Also, do I need a soft start with my power supply or not?

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but in most tk2050 builds there is no speaker protection. Is there a risk? I know I'm asking something really fundamental, but I really need some help!

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack your thread...

I'm panning to buy a TK2050, but the 2X50W version... How do you like that board?

Mine is 4x100w so maybe they are different. Anyway, I haven't tested it fully (only with some small, old speakers), but I can say that the amp is silent and there is no hiss on standby. I can't say much about the sound quality.

Champs thank you for your answers. If I understand correctly in case of power supply damage the amp should protect my speakers even without speaker protection, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.