TA2022 vs 7498E digital T-amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2014, 05:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TA2022 vs 7498E digital T-amps

I'm in the hunt for a new T-amp. I currently own the TA2020 from Indeed labs (purchased through eBay), and I must say I've been thoroughly impressed with it.

I've come into a set of very nice bookshelf speakers and I'm looking to upgrade my T-amp to one with some more power...I'm looking for a similar great sound, but just some more output at low distortion.

I've considered the Topping TP-60 (and clones) based on the tripath TA2022 chip and I've also come across a new amp based on the new 7498E chip.

New 2014 Indeed Class D TDA7498E 160WX2 Stereo Amplifier Silver 36V5A Adapter | eBay

I have not seen very many reviews of the new TDA7498E chip, but there seem to be a few implementations of it (SMSL SA-98E, Lepai LP7498E, Indeed TDA7498E), of which, the indeed has me the most interested.

Basically, I'm looking for subjective comparisons/opinions between the TA2022 tripath based T-amps and the new 7498E's based ones in terms of sound signature and output/clarity (THD).

Any input would be greatly apprecaited.

P.S. - I should mentioned that I have already ordered the Indeed version and expect it by the end of this month
Old 12th March 2014, 08:12 PM   #2
zcables is offline zcables  United States
diyAudio Member

I own a balanced amp based on the TA2022 chip (it used two of them) to output a max of 200w at 4ohms. It's a great sounding amp, and has all the Tripath sound quality with much more power than the standard chip.
Old 12th March 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
nr12 is online now nr12  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbrandt View Post
P.S. - I should mentioned that I have already ordered the Indeed version and expect it by the end of this month
I listened to this amp yesterday. Sounds very open with tight (subjectively less?) bass compared to a 2021. 2021 sounded (in direct comparison) somewhat muddy.

I ordered one.

Have fun with it. I will...

Ulf
Old 12th March 2014, 11:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr12 View Post
I listened to this amp yesterday. Sounds very open with tight (subjectively less?) bass compared to a 2021. 2021 sounded (in direct comparison) somewhat muddy.

I ordered one.

Have fun with it. I will...

Ulf
Thank you for that comparison, it is quite encouraging to know that this new amp sounds as good (if not better) as the 2021 tripath amp.

Keep in mind, however, that I've seen a few comments recommending a 24-48hr burn in on the TDA7498E chip to smooth out some initial harshness.
Old 29th March 2014, 10:02 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi
please offer to me a good and small board for TA2022 T amp with protection in ebay site.
thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 11:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Burn in an amplifier IC? Well, then..
Old 6th April 2014, 07:46 AM   #7
JAmBer is offline JAmBer  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I bought one of the SMSL SA-98E units as part of my ongoing attempt to find a good cheap class-D amp for biamping my entire surround system. I need 14 channels, so I'm cost sensitive but I don't want to compromise quality.

I'll offer the following viewpoint: The device is aesthetically pleasing. There's a lovely soft blue glow behind the volume knob and the green/red power led is small and unobtrusive (unlike some other units that light up the whole room). It's small, all-aluminium and well assembled. It runs cool, too, even with its tiny heatsink that's not thermally coupled to the case.

Unfortunately, the audio performance doesn't match the beauty of the box. Right from the outset, it immediately sounded "wrong". Attached is a frequency response plot from REW. There's terrible high frequency roll-off and it's quite audible. I found significant harmonic content too. There's also a fair bit of hiss... much worse than the TAS5630b, which is my current high power class-d benchmark. Maybe it's something simple like an overly-aggressive LPF or something. But I haven't checked... I didn't bother evaluating it much further and the SA-98E's been relegated to an engineering test box in my bin of audio electronics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!